Please Help Pigeon-Raising Experts!

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by peacockfeather, Apr 17, 2016.

1. peacockfeather

peacockfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2014
    Hello BYC community!

I am new to this form, but not to the BYC community. Long story short, I am the new foster parent of a baby pigeon. He seems to be about 10 days old or so and has some feathers but is nowhere near fully fledged. I have experience raising chickens and ducks but very little experience hand-feeding birds. I have heard about making a substitute formula or getting a parrot formula, but any advice would be useful. How many times should I feed (2 or 3)? Suggestions/preferences regarding formula and administering the formula itself? My biggest fear is administering it wrong, which could lead to aspiration. Also, I have a heat lamp - is that OK to use, and if so, what temperature is the goal? Can I give him some electrolytes as well? (I have some bird electrolytes on hand). Sorry I don't have any pictures at the moment! Please help and thank you all for any advice in advance!

2. peacockfeather

May 29, 2014
    If you have any suggestions for a temporary home-made mixture, that would be great since I don't have any parrot formula on hand today and won't be able to get any until tomorrow morning.

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Raw egg should get him on his way

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  4. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    I just use layer pellets now. As feathering, you should be able to soak layer pellets and slide down your left when facing each other, into crop.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  5. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    How is he doing?

A always found the plastic bag method was the easiest.. with a slushy paste of chick starter and grains.

6. peacockfeather

May 29, 2014
    He's still doing well! I've got him on Kaytee Exact formula now. He's roughly 100 grams and bumped his feed from 12 to about 15ml today, 4x a day. He seems much more content with this amount (as I find that I lose 2-3ml during the feeding process) but I'm worried about overfeeding. Does 15ml - give or take - sound like too much right now? Even after 12ml he was still nuzzling and seemed pretty hungry.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by