***please Help*** Possible early signs of Marekes????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tgirl, Nov 14, 2011.

1. tgirl

tgirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2011
    North Metro
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) 8 month old silkie pullet she is in good weight and is eating, laying eggs, and drinking water very well.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. She is lethargic in her movements and barley noticeable is her one foot will shake a little when she walks. She opens her mouth a lot, and her vent is twitching
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? two days
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? about2mths ago i had a silkie hen showing signs of marekes disease
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. no
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She has been eating chick grower
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. A little runny but pretty normal.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None just electrolytes in water
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I wanna help
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: She is in a 4x4 coop with deep pine shaing bedding.

I have a hen for the last two days has been moving slow, eating and drinking fine though. She poofs up and sits in the corner and her legs start shaking when she walks. She is laying and is in good weight.

PLEASE ANY ON WHAT IT MIGHT BE

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

tgirl,

Mareks is not curable, although there is a thread on here that does talk about a cure, so "never say 'never'", I guess. You can search Mareks, in the search box at the upper right of the screen to find it.

Be sure to isolate the one that you think may be sick. Mareks is a highly contageous virus. You need to not tend your other chicken(s) in connection with taking care of the sick one. clothing and shoes should be changed and they say to shower and of course be sure to wash hands before and after tending the sick one. Mareks does not affect mamialian species, so all your other non-avian pets and you and your family are not at risk. -- the virus is airborne and can last for 65 months. Even a chick that was vaccinated can get Mareks. (about 5% of them).

What happened to the chicken 2-months ago? Did it recover? If yes, then perhaps this one will also recover. The incubation period for Mareks is 4 to 12 weeks. The chicken will loose coordination, loose the ability to stand. It is pretty awful and the chicken owner feels helpless. Eventually the chicken will starve because it is unable to eat. At some point if it is Mareks, sadly, you may need to put the chicken out of misery.

I hope that you will post back to tell us that it wasn't what you thought and that your chicken is well.

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I've read numerous articles on Marek's and it is supposedly - rare. Maybe just keep with the V & E - are these birds from the same hatch? Could it be neurological? Maybe try an antibiotic in her water for a few days.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:It's hard to say, but if you feel that you had a chicken 2 months ago die of Marek's , there is a good chance that this one has it too. Marek's is pretty common. But there are so many varying symptoms, and there's no test, so it leaves us just guessing.

Have you checked her for mites, worms. How bout coccidiosis? Poo does not have to have blood to be cocci. How bout an unpassed egg?. What happened to the other silkie?

5. tgirl

tgirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2011
    North Metro
    Last silkie had all the classical signs of Marekes.... My other little silkie pullet just seems to be having a little bit of a hard time moving, no limping, no weird neck movements, no eye symptoms. She just seems off... She seems to be moving faster... previously she just seemed to be moving in slow motion. It alarmed me because she usually jumped out of the coop and ran around and about two weeks ago she went to the edge and would site there like she was afraid, then she would finally step out eat drink and poof up and sit next to the fence. She has no parasites and gets treated for worms regularly.

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi. If she's still laying eggs , it's probably nothing. If there was a problem, a hen would stop laying , wouldn't she? If she's still around, I would think, IMO that she just has something odd.

Trim her bangs so that you're sure she can see. Don't overdue the electrolytes. Maybe give a vitamin.
    I just don't see enough here that I myself would think is Marek's.
    Is she broody?

7. tgirl

tgirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2011
    North Metro
    Her fuzz was to fuzzy and she couldn't see... now I feel kinda stupid [​IMG] Thanks seminolewind

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:[​IMG]: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I am so glad it was so simple. What a relief! Thanks for posting, I love follow ups!

9. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:tgir,

that is such good news! So glad that everything is fine there. Instead of being stupid, it probably could be a very big help in the future to another chicken owner...and help them help their chicken, and have peace of mind. Good job!

10. tgirl

tgirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2011
    North Metro
    Yeah except I feel kinda stupid [​IMG] but i am happy:bow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by