Please help! Possible prolapse and vent gleet, limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Scarlettchick, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Scarlettchick

Scarlettchick New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    I have two chickens with some serious issues and I really love both of them so this is heartbreaking, especially since we have no vets in my area that are willing to see or offer advice on poultry otherwise I would gladly take them to a vet.

One is a hen who is approximately 1 and 1/2 years old, she stopped laying eggs randomly about six months ago, but hasn't seemed like she was egg bound (periodically I have tried checking, I'm not 100% sure that I am checking correctly but I imagine that if she was it would have created problems sooner in the last six months, I also thought maybe she just wanted to wait to lay until winter since that was when she actually began laying and then she stopped in late spring after going broody for awhile and then she had cocci and hasn't laid again after the spring), she has had a few issues (as I said she had been treated for cocci, worms and mites before the summer and then mites again a few days ago.) For the last week she has been ruffled and sitting and her crop is full and squishy like a balloon, she appears to have vent gleet and what looks like a hemorroid type prolapse on her bottom and her droppings are extremely watery. I cut away the green foul smelling watery droppings that were stuck to her feathers before having her sit in warm water with Epsom salts diluted in it which revealed the prolapse, which had some droppings stuck to the interior of it, I washed these off as much as possible. She has been getting ACV in her water and organic yogurt in her food for a week along with my other chicken because they were both looking lethargic and ruffled. I gave them some cooked organic egg and spinach with their food after the mite treatment just in case there was substantial blood loss but I am confident that the mites were discovered fairly quickly and treatment was successful. They are both eating and drinking but also both still fluffed up and laying down a lot.

The other chicken is a pullet who hasn't started laying yet, she is about 7 to 8 months old. She also seems like she may have vent gleet but no prolapse issue, just white sticky droppings that were on her feathers which we washed off in the same manner. Her crop has been feeling empty each time I have checked but she has been eating and drinking. She also has been limping and laying with one leg stretched out slightly. I can't see a cut or discernible swelling or specific injury on either foot, but a few days ago I noticed mites and treated the chickens, duck and the coop. I have no idea what is wrong with her foot/leg and I'm not what else to try. I have Corrid, vetericin gel, dewormer, sevin dust and Tylamox on hand, should I try any of these?

I was reading about trying Nystatin or Gentian Violet (which I can order but it will take forever to get here, and for the Gentian Violet I am not sure what type is safe for internal use in chickens.) If anyone has any suggestions at all I would really appreciate any advice, these are my first chickens and I feel so terrible that they are both doing so poorly and I will do anything possible to help them.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    As for the chicken with the leg that's stretched out, this could be a symptom of Mareks disease I'm very sorry to say. was she vaccinated for mareks? Take a look online at mareks and some of the symptoms that can go along with it. Mareks is a HIGHLY contagious air borne disease that can travel miles in the wind and is virtually every where. IF she does have Mareks this means the other birds have been exposed.it does NOT mean they will necessarily come down with the illness. It DOES mean this likely makes them carriers . that means although they are not Ill them selves they CAN infect other chickens with the Mareks virus. You would have to get your bird tested to confirm the virus. I would do some reading on Mareks and its symptoms and then you can see if you agree that it is in fact mareks with the limping hen. Their is no way I could say for certain that is what is happening with her but I can say this COULD POSSIBLY be a symptom of the disease. Mareks causes tumors inside the body and those tummors can press on the nerves causing limping out stretched legs or complete paralysis. I would do some searching on this disease and see what YOU think. I can not coment on the other birds and hopefully someone can help you with that but as for the limping bird I would be concerned that it could possibly be a sign of mareks. They're are many on this forum who are dealing with mareks in their flocks now and are very educated on the subject. If in fact you agree it is mareks im sure they can be of a great help. Unfortunately the only way to know for certain is through testing. I hope this is some help to you. Please do some research on this disease and see what YOU think. .I wish you the best and hope this is helpful.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would not use gentian violet orally. I have used it to treat thrush in babies' mouths orally decades ago, but just a little swab. It is better for external use--think BluKote here. Nystatin is available online as Medisatin. Sour crop is hard to solve. Probiotics every day or two, and massaging the crop, plus feeding only very soft foods--apple sauce, small amount of yogurt, scrambled egg, wet feed, but no grains. Nustock, a sulfur product, miconazole cream, and other antifungals can treat vent gleet if applied daily. Could you show a picture of the hen with the leg sticking out?You may want to look at the 18 pictures in this link to see if any resemble your hen. Also she may have some other leg abnormality: http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/502

4. Scarlettchick

Scarlettchick New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    Thank you for letting me know, I don't really think it is Marek's (maybe botulism?) but I will take a pic and if anyone has had experience with this sort of problem before, please let me know if I am wrong.

The older hen still has somewhat watery droppings but her crop went back down. She isn't eating much but is drinking a lot, she is up and moving a bit more. We tried putting honey on her bottom to try to get the prolapse back in, but it didn't work, so I may try to push it back in later.

The younger pullet can move both of her legs (and toes on her feet) she just cant walk with them and she favors one while standing. I found a black spot on her leg but I don't know if her leg is normally like that or not and it seems to be on the leg that isn't bothering her. I will take and post pics of it as well. Her droppings are normal at least now and she ate a bit today. I called a few vets begging them to see her so hopefully one will agree to. I'm just going to keep praying and researching and may try some b vitamins just in case.

5. Scarletpyxi

Scarletpyxi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2012
    [​IMG][/IMG]

6. Scarletpyxi

Scarletpyxi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] the second picture here shows the strange black spot, my hubby thinks this leg with the spot is actually the one hurting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by