PLEASE help...possible respiratory infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chick-a-roos, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    Bantam Cochin Rooster 1 ½ yrs old
    Noticed symptoms approx 3 weeks ago, very frequent hiccup type sneezing (stretching his neck). When holding him it feels like a rattling in his breathing/chest area. Sometimes his comb with turn a dark red almost purple color for a few seconds.
    No drainage from eyes or nostrils. His poop appears normal. Appetite good. He still loves his ladies!
    I have 7 other chickens – no others are having any type of symptoms.
    My chickens live in enclosed coop/covered run. Pine shavings from tractor supply.
    They eat Purina Layena alternating with flock raiser. Also various treats at different times: mashed boiled eggs, cooked oatmeal, applesauce, yogurt, fresh vegetables/fruits and etc.
    I gave Duramycin in the water x10 days – no improvement then I discontinued and started Tylan 0.3 ml (tonight 4th injection) once a day.
    I am also using VetRx. I tried a few nights in the house with a vaporizer.
    I did look down his throat for evidence of gapeworms but appeared clear.
    I used Iver-on pour on type….drops on his back (just in case).

I don’t know what else to do for him. I am hoping someone will have more advice and answers for us.

ETA (changed subject)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Sounds like you're doing a thorough job (I know that sneeze you are talking about).

I thought this site has some good suggestions. Search for 'sneezing'. Like I noticed for the common cold, check ventilation, get rid of drafts, apple cider vinegar in the water, etc.

http://www.arkbirdsandbeeskent.co.uk/poorlyhen.htm

Check for other matching symptoms. It might be for something like the bronchitis, you may need some veterinary strenth antibiotics.

Anyway, check it out.

3. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Sounds to me your doing everything right. What tylan are you using? I would say he will be sounding a lot better if he isnt already in a day or two. Keep us posted. Good luck.

Chef

4. Chick-a-roos

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    I feel like we have started over. His "sneezing" is not any better...probably alot worse. So, back in the house with a vaporizer. I am giving Tylan 50 once a day (5th day). I had been using the Durvet Vit & Electrolytes in their water but started the apple cider vinegar today. I have really observed him closely and no other symptoms....just the sneezing hiccup noise and he feels congested when holding him. His wattles/face feels very warm against mine (not sure if that indicates a fever or if that is even possible). I just really feel like I need to do something.

I was wondering has anyone ever used a breathing treatment on a chicken.... the nebulizer with Albuterol Sulfate. I searched the internet and not sure if that type of med would be harmful to him.

Thanks for the link chkn...saved to my favorites.

5. Chick-a-roos

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    I am now on my 6th day (injection) of Tylan 50 administering approx 0.35-0.4cc daily. He has not showed any other symptoms but the sneezing noise is still the same. I have not seen any improvement.
    Should I give the injection more than once a day? or increase the dose? or change to another medication? How long can I continue with the Tylan?

I am still wondering if a chicken can tolerate the nebulizer with Albuterol [​IMG]

Please share any information you might have. I am really helpless and want to do something to help him.

6. Yeagin1

Yeagin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Palestine, TX
    Quote:I'm having the same problem with a hen. She eats, drinks and was doing much better but has started sneezing again. I did a search on another forum and found this;

"Tylan is best for any respiratory problems

http://www.amazon.com/Tylan-Soluble-Powder...m/dp/B00061MQIC

seems expensive but that jar will last forever. it's bitter to taste and some will avoid drinking it. I over come that by dropping a pinch down the beak twice a day for 5 days. Last week I saved a young buff peahen who was gasping for breath using the method above."

And another post;

"Tylan 200 means that you give a much smaller dose volume than you would if you had Tylan 50. I'm a neonatal nurse, and I can calculate drug dosages down to exact amounts. I actually weigh each of my birds and figure it out based on weight, but that is because I'm a nerd,lol. Tylan has a pretty big range of safe dosing.

To give it by injection, the best syringes for this are the kind diabetics use to give themselves insulin. Lay the bird on its side, with the left side facing up. Part the feathers until you can find an area the skin shows through. Rub the site with some rubbing alcohol, then stick the syringe needle into the muscle, no more than 1/2 inch, and push the med in slowly. Pull out the needle and gently rub the area to help distribute the medicine into the muscle. If symptoms are mild to moderate then you can do this 2 times a day."

To give it orally, give the same dose, but dilute it down a little bit with some sugar water or something else tasty. For oral doses, you will want to give it about 3 times a day if the symptoms are mild, 4 if they are moderate. If severe, then you really need to give injections 3 times a day. Treat 3-5 days beyond when the symptoms disappear. I told you there was a range to this

Also, if you don't have any VetRx, get some. Your birds will love you

ProBios, yogurt, or some other probiotic in their feed will help with the diarrhea from the antibiotic."

I hope this helps us both.
    Sandy

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  7. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    If he is no longer responding to your medications you need to discontinue meds for 24 hours to 48 hours continue the VetRX treatments. Feed him soft foods only scrambled eggs with a tad bit of plain yougart, no fruit Just all naturalplain yougart. Make sure to put a drop of Vet RX in his throat 3x daily (Do Not squirt directly down throat just place it in his mouth on the side of his beak. Force open if have to.)
    After the clean out phase Get some LS-50 or LS-200 I suggest the 200 since you have switched meds x2 thus far already. if its not avalible to you. You can order online. It is 2 medications in one and very exeptional at fighting of respitory diseases and problems. Mix 1 tbs to 1 gallon of water. Add aprox 1/2 tbs vetrx, warm bottle in pot of water first this allows the vetrx to disolve if you dont it will remain oil form and float in circles on the top of the water.
    Keep him inside and warm in a dark secluded place. Be sure to disinfect your hands before and after each handling. Its also a good measure to remove the clothing you had on previously and Shower or Disinfect to your elbows and after redressing.Sometimes good flock bio security can not only help sick birds to heal. But will avoid you from spreading this to any other bird you might have.
    Feelfree to Pm me with any questions you might have. MM Poultry Farms Matthew
    Good Luck Happy healing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by