Please help. Predator attack and a sick acting Hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FlockMaster-614, Jan 12, 2014.

1. FlockMaster-614

FlockMaster-614 Chirping

Jan 10, 2014
    Indiana
    I just lost one of my Barred Rock hens to what I'm assuming was a coon. I have another hen who is acting very out of character. I know and have been told that chickens are unable to get rabies but I assume she is developing a blood disease or infection. I assume this because I lost one chick last year after a coon cutting its leg and it getting infected or the likes and it died lethargic and immobile except for violent thrashings ever so often.

Please, please help me. Any information or advice will be much, much appreciated.

2. chickflick

chickflick Crowing

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Have you isolated her? Give her vitamins and antibiotics. How big is the wound? How is she doing?

3. FlockMaster-614

FlockMaster-614 Chirping

Jan 10, 2014
    Indiana
    Yes I have her in a dog crate in my garage. The ones on her comb look like she has been pecked and the one on her foot doesn't look too bad now I cleaned it up it just lools like a scrape. She is eating some corn and feed and acting much better.
    What type of vitamins or antibiotics would you recommend? I'm at my house without any transport at the moment but my granddad may be willing to get domes stuff for me. Sorry if that trouble but thanks so much for your help.

4. FlockMaster-614

FlockMaster-614 Chirping

Jan 10, 2014
    Indiana
    Nope, no ride tonight but in The morning i may be able to pick up something.

5. chickflick

chickflick Crowing

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Make sure there are no other wounds. Search her well, uner her wings and feathers. Wash out the wounds with soap and water. Put some Neosporin on the wounds. There's Poultry Drench for a vitamin. If you have children's vitamins, you can use that in a pinch. If not that, put a tiny bit of sugar in her water

6. FlockMaster-614

FlockMaster-614 Chirping

Jan 10, 2014
    Indiana
    Okay sugsr ive got and hopefully i can find the neosporin. Thanks ChickFlick. Ill keep posted.

7. chickflick

chickflick Crowing

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Ok, good luck..

8. chickflick

chickflick Crowing

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Be sure to keep your chickens in their predator proof run or coop until you can do something about the coon. It will come back now that it know where food is!!

9. FlockMaster-614

FlockMaster-614 Chirping

Jan 10, 2014
    Indiana
    I honestly dont know how it got in unless it slipped through the gap between the wire roof and the gate. Even if it didnt im going to fix that so the cat doesn't get in and eat the chicken food.

Thank you Chickflick.

10. chickflick

chickflick Crowing

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    How's the hen doing?? Hope all is well...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by