Please help! ...prolapsed vent?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bbecca, Dec 29, 2016.

1. bbecca

bbecca Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2016
    Oregon
    Could someone please help me? I came home to find my hen with what I believed was an impacted egg or prolapsed vent but an egg (hard shelled) was hanging on the outside in the mess of it all too. Her feathers were all fluffed and wet, full of poop and white stuff and blood and she smells horrible. Before I could look online to see what to do, my husband took the egg out of the mess and she was dripping blood for a while. It finally stopped and I took her in to clean her up, but I cannot even find the vent to try to put it back in. It basically looks like her insides have all come out in the back and are just hanging. Id like some input on what the problem is, first time around with chickens. Called vet and they said from my description there's nothing they can do, so I don't think she'll last. But I'd like to know what is the problem. Also if this helps, 3 out of my 6 hens started laying just 2 weeks ago but I'm not if she's one of them or not. I'd appreciate any help. If this is something I could prevent happening to my other girls I'd like to know.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Here is a video showing how to fix it.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. bbecca

bbecca Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2016
    Oregon
    After watching videos and reading and trying to put it back in without success, we culled the hen. [​IMG] Thanks for your help anyway.

5. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by