Please help! Pullet doesn't seem to be pooping! and crop is huge!!

Little Coop on Salt Creek

Songster
8 Years
Feb 20, 2016
Southwest Colorado
Hi all,
We have a 23 week and 3 day old Black Australorp pullet who over the past 4 days has been acting kinda weird. She is a new layer ( on Sept 8). She had laid for 7 days straight, took a break and then started again yesterday, so it seemed as if she doesn't have a problem laying. Wednesday afternoon, early evening I noticed that she was doing a strange head/neck movement.. I have seen others describe it as a snake like motion which describes it perfectly. Thursday, she was doing it a little more and but both days she seemed to be behaving normally in everything else she was doing. Yesterday morning we noticed she was a little slower than normal and doing the "snake" movements starting in the morning. In the afternoon, I noticed she was standing still with one wing dropped and yawning real wide as if to get things to move out of her throat. By evening time, I had noticed she sounded like she was going to throw up. I did some looking around here yesterday and discovered she may have a crop problem. I felt her crop and it was very, very large.. but its state changes from squishy to hard. This morning I checked her and her crop was so big it is visibly hanging. So, I have put her in our built in brooder/sick bay box in the coop... by herself with some ACV water only. She has been in there since 8a MST and it is now 10:30a. I just check on if she had pooped and only found 1 (maybe the size of a baby silkie poop). She wants to be with the rest of the flock. She is talking in the brooder and pacing back and forth like she wants out of jail! I have tried massage on the crop, but she doesn't stand for it for more than 20 seconds or so. Her breath does not stink. I have seen so much conflicting info on here and the internet about how to treat. We want to go as natural as possible and prefer no vet visit due to the cost of it. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? Most specifically: can we let her join the flock? What about not pooping much? Thank you to all who see and reply to this. Trying not to freak out since this is our first flock and these girls really are our babies and pets with benefits :)

Sorry about your trouble! It sounds like she could have somthing blocking the food(and possibly liquid) from exiting her crop, hence the neck motions trying to dislodge it. :/ I posted those links just based on the title of your post. After reading your entire post, I still believe this is the cause. I believe this needs urgent attention as you suspect.

@rebrascora , @Pyxis , @Wyorp Rock

Last edited:
A video of her actions would be helpful, or if you have photos.

When you checked the crop this morning, was this before she had anything to eat/drink?
Daytime is very hard to determine crop function since chickens eat/drink all day and the crop is in various stages of fullness. Check the crop when she is roosting at night, then first thing before she eat/drinks. If it is not flat/empty in the morning, then you have a problem. http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

It's hard to know whether you should limit her activity so you can monitor her more closely - it sounds like she is stressed from being separated, only you can determine what is best for her. See that she is drinking well and watch to see if the crop goes down in size and that she is pooping. It won't hurt to make poultry grit (crushed granite) available free choice as well.

I had this with a 1 week old chick. Same neck movements and lack of droppings. We massaged her crop multiple times a day and introduced grit. She pulled through!

I think your best bet is a simple crop surgery. A vet could probably do it. You can see videos of it on youtube. Just a local anesthetic and then... cut open and take out the impacted material. But I want to mention that I've read that if a chicken gets this sort of issue it will probably get it again in the future, even if you fix it now.

I just checked on her again.. her vent looks good; pale, small, non-pasted. Her crop is large, but soft; not like it is filled with liquid and not hard. I can feel grit in there, we use sand in our coop and 3/4 of the run, so she has plenty of grit sizes to choose from. Still, no poop though. Should I try to give her some olive oil on bread? We don't have any white bread, it is wheat or gluten free rice bread. The closest to white bread would be a gf rye loaf we have.

A video of her actions would be helpful, or if you have photos.

When you checked the crop this morning, was this before she had anything to eat/drink?
Daytime is very hard to determine crop function since chickens eat/drink all day and the crop is in various stages of fullness. Check the crop when she is roosting at night, then first thing before she eat/drinks. If it is not flat/empty in the morning, then you have a problem. http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

It's hard to know whether you should limit her activity so you can monitor her more closely - it sounds like she is stressed from being separated, only you can determine what is best for her. See that she is drinking well and watch to see if the crop goes down in size and that she is pooping. It won't hurt to make poultry grit (crushed granite) available free choice as well.
I tried to get a video yesterday, but the rest of our nosey girls kept getting in the way. The neck movements aren't lasting long enough for me to get out the phone and onto the video of it. When I checked on them, it was after she had access to food and water. We have automatic waterers and feeders in both coop and run. I just didn't get up early enough to catch her before everyone was up and moving. She was on the highest roost this morning when I checked her.. a different position than when I left her last night. So, it is possible, she got down ate.. drank.. and flew back up for a nap. I assumed the answer was yes to the crop problem because it was sooooo big at first check... like she had been eating all night long.

I tried to get a video yesterday, but the rest of our nosey girls kept getting in the way. The neck movements aren't lasting long enough for me to get out the phone and onto the video of it. When I checked on them, it was after she had access to food and water. We have automatic waterers and feeders in both coop and run. I just didn't get up early enough to catch her before everyone was up and moving. She was on the highest roost this morning when I checked her.. a different position than when I left her last night. So, it is possible, she got down ate.. drank.. and flew back up for a nap. I assumed the answer was yes to the crop problem because it was sooooo big at first check... like she had been eating all night long.
I just tried to upload the video of what I did take yesterday and it said it was to large :(

Back
Top Bottom