PLEASE HELP! Pullet has a broken leg

Holew-L

Chirping
Mar 13, 2018
Wisconsin
My 3 month old sapphire gem pullet broke its leg/ a bone in its leg. I had her in my chicken tractor for a quite some time now and today was the first time any of those birds got their legs stuck. maybe i was going a bit quick or something but i feel terrible. Its broken around the knee joint. i really hope she will heal or at least be able to live. any suggestions on how to bandage it or what to do with it?
Thanks

Last edited:
My 3 month old sapphire gem pullet broke its leg/ a bone in its leg. I had her in my chicken tractor for a quite some time now and today was the first time any of those birds got their legs stuck. maybe i was going a bit quick or something but i feel terrible. Its broken right under the knee joint(?). i really hope she will heal or at least be able to live. any suggestions on how to bandage it or what to do with it?
Thanks
Oh no! I hope someone on the site can help you out!

Here are some pictures. F74220C9-D4C4-4C35-8BD7-65B005B72439.jpeg
2CC665FC-2C91-4DD4-A12A-6D4BB102DC2E.jpeg
6083E999-A75A-47F7-B773-BE9CF0826214.jpeg

662ED6AB-06B5-4D9F-8890-E9BA9B7C5069.gif

Please help. I believe that the tibia is broken and I would like to know If she needs to be put down ore not.

Thanks

Attachments

• AF99DAD2-5C1C-4047-A6CB-C98E4F12CB16.gif
    AF99DAD2-5C1C-4047-A6CB-C98E4F12CB16.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 4
i would try splinting it if it's in a place where splinting will stabilize it.
Here is a link to an article on splinting fractures in birds, it talks about songbirds mostly, but the anatomy is the same. https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
Here is another: https://www.animalwised.com/healing-a-fractured-bird-leg-how-to-make-a-splint-667.html
Important that all splints are padded to prevent abrasions, and that they not be too tight, check for swelling often.
You may also need to put her in a chicken sling for some periods each day to allow it to rest with the weight off. They can sometimes freak out about the sling, so keep an eye on her so she doesn't hurt herself, and only use it when needed. I would crate her anyway to minimize her movements to allow it to rest and heal. Optimally a wire crate in the same run/coop as the rest of the chickens so they can see her and she can see them is the least stressful. Here are some examples of chicken slings:
0fc3977125679ff97e41196d94cdfb6b--broken-leg-recovery.jpg

dc983f0a3a23dfe396b99c0f29bc36a3.jpg
e0342c9d342cb3f8f72cf353724e56d4--broken-leg-crazy-bird.jpg

@coach723
i Have been looking at the chciken all day and i tried splinting the leg. its in a place where i can feel the break and when i re align it It is very very difficult to get it to stay. i think its safe to say that it is in an un splintable spot. i can try again but i thought id just let you know the situaition/

thanks

I've had quite a few chickens and guineas over the years with a broken leg. Just keep her confined and give her time to heal. All of mine do heal although one of mine limped for a long time. I wouldn't try to splint it. That will only cause her pain.

You can try to gently stabilize it with only some vet wrap or co wrap, which may help. The other option is an avian vet who would probably have specialized splinting material, or could put a pin in it, if appropriate. Not being able to see it ourselves makes it hard to recommend anything specifically. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom