PLEASE HELP! Pullet With SEVERE Feet Invection! HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BooeyBird, Dec 30, 2013.

1. BooeyBird

BooeyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    HELP!!! I just went outside to feed and water the chickens, and discovered one of our pullets have a SEVERE feet infection. One foot is much worse than the other, but swelling shows in both. Ever since she was a chick, something has been wrong with her feet (toes crooked, sometimes small swelling), but nothing serious like this. She has always had a little bit of trouble with walking, and she usually sort of waddles. But, somthing very serious is wrong now. She has even been clucking differently, actually, more of a little peep. She has not yet started laying, but is about seven months old. She is a silkied cochin bantam female, and is very sweet. I do not want anything to happen to her. I have brought her inside, given her fresh feed and water, and she seems to be doing a bit better.. What should I do and how should I treat this? PLEASE HELP!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. leetfreq925

leetfreq925 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Ipswich, MA
  3. BooeyBird

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    Yes, I think it most likely is. I don't know why I didn't think of that, I guess I just sort of panicked.. Thanks I will check out the link. Also, how is bumblefoot caused?

4. BooeyBird

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    I just soaked her feet in some luke warm water, and I can clearly see a little scab on one of her toes, but not on the padding. How can I treat this? And, what should I clean and soak her feet in besides water?

5. leetfreq925

Aug 7, 2012
    Ipswich, MA
  6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Follow the treatment on link already given. Bumblefoot is usually caused from jumping off roosts,uneven roosts(splinters in roosts). Bumblefoot if left untreated,will turn into a severe infection,treat immediately.

How cold has it been where you live? If it is not bumblefoot,then check for frostbite issues.

7. BooeyBird

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    I cannot take her to a vet right away, and not sure about the surgery. It has usually been around 40 degrees here in St louis, Missouri. It has gone under though. A heat lamp is always provided for our chickens. Thanks for the link. I have brought her inside, and soaked her feet in some warm water. I see a few cuts on her, though I am not sure where they came from. She probably was scratching and cut her feet on some twigs. She has been eating, and drinking ALOT. I will try to get pictures of the cuts (they are mostly on her toes, and only one has formed a scab). I will check for sharp objects, and splintered perches in the run. If this isn't bumblefoot, how do I treat the frostbite? (sorry, nothing has ever happened like this to any of my previous chickens)

8. leetfreq925

Aug 7, 2012
    Ipswich, MA
    hm - really don't think it's frost bite. 40 degrees is perfect for a chicken, it really should not be cold. in fact, i would strongly encourage you to get rid of the heat lamp - they shouldn't need it and it could actually cause problems for your chickens.
    try to get some more pics if you can. sounds like she either scratched herself and got an infection, or has bumblefoot. the first pictures really seem to lean towards the bumblefoot. keep soaking it in warm epsom salt water if you don't want to do the surgery and get her to a vet as soon as you can so they can deal with infection. if there is indeed infection, and it seems like there is, you need to get her treated asap.

9. BooeyBird

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    Ok, I will do the best I can. Her toes have ALWAYS been bent backwards and crooked ever since she was a chick. Any idea what that is?

10. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    First clean the wounds,you can use a diluted peroxide for initial cleaning. Treat the cuts with an antibiotic ointment(nothing ending in "caine/cane"toxic to chickens). If it is bumblefoot,you have to treat immediately otherwise a more serious infection will set in and spread. If you do not feel comfortable doing the surgery,look on forums for alternate solutions,but often surgery is the only way to remove the infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by