Please Help, pullets or cockerels?

zmelli

In the Brooder
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 23, 2013
I have 3 blue orpingtons that are 3 months old. I sent pics. to the breeder because I put photos on this website and most of the people say they are all cockerels. The breeder says the one in the first photo is a cockerel, but not sure about the other 2. I thought I would put the photos on here and see what any of you with experience with these type of chickens think. The breeder wants me to wait and see but I honestly think they may all be cockerels. Now, the big one does act more "boyish" than the other 2, but I am so confused. All 3 have the same big feet, same feathering in the back, the only difference is the comb on the other 2 is not as bright red as the first one. (Click on each picture to make them bigger.)

Photo 1 this is the one that is a cockerel:

photo #2 breeder is not sure

photo #3 breeder is not sure

Last edited:
Well, give em a couple more months and see which lay. Bahaha.

But seriously, my guess is pullet on 2&3. I know my RSL's pulled in some very red waddles that concerned me. Are any "stamping" yet, or exhibiting any crowing? One of my two roos started crowing at 4 weeks old (EE mix) and the other (BO mix) at around 8 weeks.

no crowing yet but the big one (photo 1) stands tall, pecks the other 2 when they are laying down, and runs and does the "rooster dance" at the other 2. I am just concerned that the feathering seems to be the same on all 3. All 3 feet are also huge.

Here is some recent photos of them. I am starting to believe they are both roosters. They are 5 months old now.

Back
Top Bottom