Please help! Pullets or Roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KNelly, Dec 4, 2014.

1. KNelly

KNelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both look like pullets to me.

3. KNelly

Sep 2, 2014
    Do you happen to have a guess on the breeds? She said brown leghorn and Rhode Island red but my Brown leghorn has yellow legs and this one doesn't and I've never had a Rhode Island red so not sure if that's what they look like.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    They are both pullets. The one on the left is a Brown Leghorn. The one on the right is a Production Red. Both of them should be excellent layers. :eek:)

5. KNelly

Sep 2, 2014
    Is a production red the same as a red sex link? :) Thanks for your replies!

6. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    No Red Sex Links are produced by crossing a red gene rooster (RIR, NHR, or Production Red) with a silver gene hen (RIW, WR, SLW, Delaware, Light Sussex, etc.). The offspring can be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish), and they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Production Reds are produced by crossing two red gene roosters (RIR, HNR), on occasion with a little White Leghorn infused into the mix in an effort to increase lay rate. Unlike Red Sex Links, Production Reds cannot be sexed by color at hatching.

7. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Sorry about the typo. I meant to say "by crossing two red gene chickens." Obviously you can't cross two roosters. LOL! My PC has made quite a few of these typos recently. :eek:)

8. KNelly

Sep 2, 2014
    Thank you so much!! I did not know [email protected] OShay I have one more question...I've seen your posts on other pages about black sex links. My friend and I got two awhile back from the same breeder. He only had barred rocks, rir, and black sex links. We'll 1 of the chicks grew up solid black with no streaking and the other has a little red on the neck. Is that possible? Or did he give one of us a different bird? He said those are the only breeds he carries. I'm just wondering if my solid black one is really a sex link.

9. KNelly

Sep 2, 2014
    He said both ours came from the same batch of chicks and are sisters.

10. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana

I'm sure you are right, but for us noobs, can you explain how you can tell that is a Production Red? It looks very mahoganny to me, and I can't see any light down, so I wouldn't be able to tell. Or were you just making the logical assumption it is a Production Red because the owner doesn't know its breed that well? (...would've had to pay extra from a breeder for Heritage RIR....)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by