Please help...purple comb on rooster.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazy4daisy, Jul 19, 2007.

1. crazy4daisy

crazy4daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Central Missouri
    Okay, yesterday everything was completely normal with the chickens, then today I go out and everything is normal except that the ends of my rooster's comb is turning purple (about the end 3/4 inch). I'm worried, and If he is sick I want to get him isolated ASAP. He's acting normal other than that.

EDIT: I should also say that yesterday I put apple cider vinegar in their water when I was trying to cure a couple of little sneezes one of my hens is having, but I REALLY didn't put very much in at all.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Mine gets that way when its really hot outside. I then let the garden hose run in the pen for awhile to cool him off.

3. crazy4daisy

Mar 12, 2007
    Central Missouri
    Well, it's been hot here for about the last week, but a cold front is coming in today, and it's cooler than it normally is, so I don't know why he would get it when it is starting to cool down a little bit. But it makes me feel better, because I went on google and I read an article on how purple combs can be a sign of Avian Bird Flu and I was like :eek: lol, wow, I worry too much.

4. crazy4daisy

Mar 12, 2007
    Central Missouri
    See edit on original post please [​IMG]

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Chickens use their combs and wattles for heat regulation. If he's not having any other symptoms, then he should be okay. Even Obelisk's comb turned a bit off colour when it was in the high 90's recently.

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    one of my Roo's has a purple comb, the tips are purple and the very back is purple all the way down to his head. It's also very cool to the touch in the purple areas, while the red areas are warm.

Possibly a circulation problem?[​IMG]

He shows no change at all, he acts the same as he always has.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by