Please help - Quail with redness on leg, limping, possible spasms

Quailrcute

Hatching
Apr 19, 2022
Hello, I'm new here, this is a great site. My dad has some quail he raised mainly for the eggs, they are nearly one year old. I noticed one of the females was limping and because he told me he thought she was egg bound (he's also a novice with quails), we separated her and have her inside but wasted a few days sadly trying to help her with that (even though no egg could be seen, thought is was stuck on the way out). Anyway, seems the real issue is her leg. I did notice that there is some swelling at one of the leg joints and she's keeping it bended in. Poor thing has been in pain, I also notice some possible spasms on that side. How can I help her? Sorry for the mess on her, it's difficult to keep her clean as she is constantly dragging herself through her poop; the darkness is the poop, hopefully you can see the injury.

Attachments

• 20220419_Birdy1_(2).jpg
    20220419_Birdy1_(2).jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220419_Birdy2 (2).jpg
    20220419_Birdy2 (2).jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 5
@Nabiki knows a lot about quail. Maybe she can help you.

I don't know anything about quail, but I do know a little about chickens. I doubt it's egg binding-usually the symptoms are lowered tail, standing like a penguin, lethargy, etc.

It could possibly be an infection of some sort. Can she walk?

You've received answers on the quail forums regarding this. If she's pooping, she's not egg bound.

Keep her clean, warm, and separated into a small cage/box or something with shavings for two or three days with food and water next to her to help her keep off of it.

Has she still not improved at all since yesterday?

You've received answers on the quail forums regarding this. If she's pooping, she's not egg bound.

Keep her clean, warm, and separated into a small cage/box or something with shavings for two or three days with food and water next to her to help her keep off of it.

Has she still not improved at all since yesterday?
Hello, yes I did receive your response on Tuesday to the 2nd post, thanks again. The message above was the one I posted 1st, earlier that day. I didn't realize that i had to remove it. And yes, I believe I said I wasted time thinking she was egg bound & I later realized the problem was her swollen joint. (At first I thought that was a secondary problem).
She is actually not using that leg at all, so I'm not sure that it's getting any better. But she looks brighter if that makes any sense.

@Nabiki knows a lot about quail. Maybe she can help you.

I don't know anything about quail, but I do know a little about chickens. I doubt it's egg binding-usually the symptoms are lowered tail, standing like a penguin, lethargy, etc.

It could possibly be an infection of some sort. Can she walk?
Thank you, Nabiki responded to my 2nd post on another forum on Tuesday.

Hello, yes I did receive your response on Tuesday to the 2nd post, thanks again. The message above was the one I posted 1st, earlier that day. I didn't realize that i had to remove it. And yes, I believe I said I wasted time thinking she was egg bound & I later realized the problem was her swollen joint. (At first I thought that was a secondary problem).
She is actually not using that leg at all, so I'm not sure that it's getting any better. But she looks brighter if that makes any sense.
Looking brighter makes sense, and is definitely an improvement. You might try taking a small plastic container and filling it about an inch with warm (quail body temp or a couple degrees warmer) epsom salt water and let her soak in it for 10-15 minutes. That's normally a remedy for egg bound, but it may soothe her joint as well.

Let us know how she's doing.

Looking brighter makes sense, and is definitely an improvement. You might try taking a small plastic container and filling it about an inch with warm (quail body temp or a couple degrees warmer) epsom salt water and let her soak in it for 10-15 minutes. That's normally a remedy for egg bound, but it may soothe her joint as well.

Let us know how she's doing.
Thank you for your help. But very sad to report that she died during the night 😪😭.
The reason we thought she was egg bound was some puffy stiffness in her belly and the limping. Apparently, that can also be a sign of a tumor or something else? So sad...😔

Thank you for your help. But very sad to report that she died during the night 😪😭.
The reason we thought she was egg bound was some puffy stiffness in her belly and the limping. Apparently, that can also be a sign of a tumor or something else? So sad...😔
I'm sorry for your loss. It might have been a tumor. You could perform a basic necropsy if you're really interested. It could be interesting to see what was going on inside.

I'm sorry for your loss. It might have been a tumor. You could perform a basic necropsy if you're really interested. It could be interesting to see what was going on inside.
Thank you Nabiki, your help is appreciated.
I would like to know what happened but I know my dad isn't going to take her to a vet for that. And to be honest I also don't want her cut up, cant handle that thought at the moment 😖.

Back
Top Bottom