Please help question about a baby born this morning.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mynameiserin, Aug 10, 2011.

1. mynameiserin

mynameiserin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Upstate NY
    My Runner Puddles hatched out about 7 ducklings maybe a few more to come... but when I first saw that they finally arrived which was this morning, one of them was laying away from the nest next to a broken egg which I assume to be it's own. I thought he was dead, so I left for a minute and came back to remove it, and I realized he was still alive.
    He could barely move and then my boyfriend said there must be something wrong with him because the momma kicked him out of her nest. So I put him in a shoe box with a towel and a lamp for warmth. And now about nine hours later he can lift his head and walk a little bit...
    What I want to know is should I put him back with his mother or is she going to try and kill it? Or if he still can't move as well as his other siblings should I leave him in the box alone until he is better and then later try and put him back with them?
    Also if I can put him back with her how do I go about doing so, because Puddles is extremely protective of her babies and has already tried attacking us for being in there?

Sorry I've never had ducks hatch out babies before, I've only had ducklings delivered. And I want to try and let her raise them somewhat.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Wish i could give you an answer but I don't have runners and am not sure what would be best, but there is a BYCer on this thread goes by gofaststipe try PMIng her she has runners and hatches all the time she might be able to advise you also duckyfromz shes another good one to talk to.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  3. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    I believe it's "gofasterstripe" as the username.

OP, I don't know what I'd do since I've never hatched out ducklings, but I'd be really afraid the mama would hurt it. I might just snag one of her other babies to keep this one company.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:x2

~ Aspen

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Thanks for correcting my mistake SaraFl.
    X3

6. mynameiserin

Mar 17, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Thanks you guys. I'm going to PM her now.

7. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    hoping you got your answer, we had the same thing happen with our muscovy she took nine of her ducklings off before the one was strong enough to follow. I took him in and gave him lots of sugar water, kept him warm, once he was dried off and up and moving I took him out and set him down close (about ten feet) from them, She is also very protective and so I didn't want to get so close that she was going to jump on me again. The little guy started peeping loudly and she came running over and accepted it right in with the rest. Everyone was happier then if he had to be raised on his own.
    Hopefully everything worked out well!

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:how is your baby?

9. mynameiserin

Mar 17, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Quote:Thank you for the information I will try and see what she does....

and Miss Lydia he seems normal now, but I still haven't seen him walk really because I haven't been home. But I assume he can because he's in a different spot every time I've checked on him.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Thank you for the information I will try and see what she does....

and Miss Lydia he seems normal now, but I still haven't seen him walk really because I haven't been home. But I assume he can because he's in a different spot every time I've checked on him.

Sounds good please keep us posted

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by