PLEASE HELP- Quick energy/nutrition boosts for very sick hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cynthia#2, Aug 21, 2011.

1. cynthia#2

cynthia#2 New Egg

Aug 5, 2011
    Simba appears to have pretty bad sour crop (see post- https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7201594#p7201594) and her condition is gradually getting worse. She looks like she may not make it through the night, she's lost so much weight and is barely eating, i don't even know if she is absorbing any nutrients from the little she does eat. She has fallen over several times and once she didn't even bother to get back up, i had to help her. She NEEDS some energy- how can i help her? It's night time so i only have what's availible in the house. I read that i shouldn't give her any sugar when she's ill but could i tube feed her sugar water? something else?
    It's so heartbreaking.
    thank you.

(Also i'm getting her some anti fungal medication tomorrow, so hopefully i'll be able to treat the sour crop, i just need to get her through tonight.)

2. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    I am by no means an expert, but can you feed her some plain yogurt? I've heard plain yogurt is good because of the good bacteria and the protein. If she is too weak to eat it you could give it to her drop by drop with a syringe. Hope she feels better.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She may not make it if she's already that weak. If the sour crop is still in progress, she cannot process her food. Plain yogurt is about all she can take; after that, scrambled eggs mixed in, but nothing her crop has to work to process.

4. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    apple cider vinegar in her water! grit, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by