PLEASE HELP QUICK ONE SMALL CHICK IN 2 WEEKS IS VERY WEAK AND FALLING

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Coturnix Quail, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    EVERYTHING WAS GOING WELL. I KEPT A CLOSE EYE ON THE SMALL ONE, BUT THIS MORNING I FOR IT WAS STUMBLING AND COULDN'T STAND VERY WELL!! PLEASE HELP ME QUICKLY I REALLY LOVE THIS ONE AND DON'T WANT IT TO DIE!!:hit I PUT IT IN A DIFFERENT CAGE WITH LIGHT, PUT FOOD AND WATER WITH IT. NEXT THING I KNOW IT'S SOAKED. I WARMED IT IN THE LIGHT FOR A FEW SECONDS THEN I PUT IT DOWN IN WITH THE OTHERS. NOW, HER WE ARE. PLEASE HELP ME QUICKLY BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE :hit

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I would keep it separated - it's weak and you have a lot of other quail chicks that can further weaken it by stepping on it - worse case scenario I've syringe watered a baby that couldn't drink itself because it was so weak, I also mixed a bit of baby bird food in it, not saying yours needs that yet but he sounds like he needs a rest, you're going to have to figure out the water situation and how to keep it dry, you can try elevating the water container about an inch on a small platform and sprinkling shredded grass bits to float on top of the water to make it want to peck it.

3. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah, I did seperate it.They seemed to be stepping all over it and I couldn't handle watching that. So, this time I took a water bottle cap and filled it up and it doesnt seem to be getting wet anymore. I've noticed it CAN walk around, but it doesn't stay steady and it falls over and it shakes a little. I put another lamp over the little guy. He does seem to be eating propperly and drinking too. But he just seems to be so lonely it makes me cry. When I first seperated him, he did that loud chirp when one of them got lost and they all froze looking for him. Poor little guy. I think somethings wrong with his foot. Even when I hold him in my palm, he falls over. I put a little rock in there for company [​IMG] Hope he likes it. Can I give him any treats or anything? I wanna make this lil' guy happy, even thou hes alone. [​IMG] Anyway, wish me luck with this lil' dude. [​IMG]

4. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Aww, maybe he just needs some rest and food and he will be able to keep up again :)

I wouldn't give him treats as bad as that sounds, but logically he's in a very important growth stage and "is under the weather", so I'd make sure to give him nothing but his balanced vitamins and high protein game bird feed - I put a pair of fluffy socks or a tiny stuffed animal under the heat lamp for them to lean against for company :p

5. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Alright! Lets see how this goes!

6. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Ok. Morning, where I am. The lil guy is still alive!! WOO HOO!! Every now and then I take him to see the others, or I put one inside the box for a sec before it gets to stop on him :lol: But his little feet dont seem to be getting better. He just keeps falling over and of course I help him up when I'm there. But, I gave him a little rubber ducky and he seems to love it. He sleeps with it and pecks at it. Its really cute. But I'd there anything I can do to help him with his lil feet? And how long will I have to keep him separated? He seems to get so lonely :/

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  7. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    He was lying down. I thought he was dead. But he was just lying down thank God. But, I'm getting worried he's getting weak. Please help me :hit

8. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    I was walking him around to see if any thing was wrong and he always cruises his foot over his other foot. I think this might be the cause, but everytime i his foot, he moves it back over the other foot. For now i put his box in the sun instead of light, and yes he does have shade. What should i do to help him??

9. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I would leave him alone under the heat lamp with a cooler spot to go and let him recover, the foot thing could be weakness/injury that needs more time to bounce back from, I would handle him as little as possible and just provide heat, food and water for him.

Cute idea about the rubber ducky lol, I discovered some of the babies like constantly shoving their heads up my sleeve when I pet them hehe - they will stay standing like that forever until I pull myself away, similar thing happened to a big pair of fluffy socks I put under the heat lamp for them to snuggle up into... All I saw were these little legs sticking out omgosh [​IMG] I thought it was stuck... They're crazy little things :p do you have any that like to be pet in particular? [​IMG]

10. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Hehe. Yeah, he does seem to be recovering!! Which is great. And one or two, do seem to like me a little, but they dont like being held! I really wanna be able to handle them without them squirming out. Do you have any tips? And what exactly do you mean by grit. Since I'm new to raising em', I don't exactly know what it is, but I do want to feed them apples and stuff. I moved em outside yesterday. Put em in a dog cage, with wire at the bottom. We're starting to build a coop. We're planning to make it half n half one section for males and one for females. Is that ok? Oh boy. When I first put one outside he was just trying to chase the ants! [​IMG] He didn't know what to do so he just sat there. Then, he ate an ant!! First bit of protien? [​IMG]
    Awh. These little things are just so cute. Truely I've fallen in love. But, they are growing older, and their poop is getting bigger. Pain to clean up, but its worth it :) Yeah, we're pretty good. I'll keep you updated [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by