Please help, RIR, completely baffled, Im afraid im going to lose her..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fllpunk, Jan 1, 2011.

1. fllpunk

fllpunk Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Gainesville, fl
    I hope you guys have a suggestion or direction, I am running out of ideas or even a clue as to whats wrong with The Ghost of Helen (yes thats her name!) [​IMG]
    Any help appreciated.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    RIR, 11 Months, 3lbs

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Stopped laying eggs about 9 days ago (other 2 birds have continued despite weather). Lost weight, isolated, stopped eating. Took to vet, grams, physical and parasites all came back clean. He suggested xrays and bloodwork but I had already spent $150 so I chose not to pursue. However he said to continue giving her fluids and her feed that since he could not find anything obvious that maybe it could pass.
    HERES THE INTERESTING PART:
    she will eat anything but only once.
    First day after vet she ate her solid pellet feed
    Second day she would not touch it so I made her a mix of water with layer feed and peanut butter with cracked corn. Ate it all.
    Third day she would not touch that so I made her banana with rice, she ate it all
    fourth day would not touch any of the 3 previous meals, so I got her super worms, ate like 60
    fifth day, no interest for meal worms, but for the oats they came with, fed her oats, ate them all.
    sixth day no love for #1,2,3,4,5, made her plums with tomatoes and green peppers. Ate it all
    seventh day no interest in any of the above... i give up.
    All the while Ive been feeding her pedyalite directly orally into crop.
    Also I have been keeping her indoors but for the past 2 days I have let her outside (temp 70f) she seems interested in foraging/scratching. but does a lot of staring at the ground. Almost like shes tripping or stoned, just stares at food in very deep thought.
    Seems alert not sleepy.
    ** EDIT ** : fifth day gave her the 20 minute warm bath I read somewhere. No eggs still.
    ** EDIT ** : she tends to be isolated with equal times of standing/sitting/ I dont notice tail feathers being down or flapping. they seem normal. comb coloration is normal. legs are free of cuts and are smooth.Did notice that she tends to stand with her wings "sticking out" as in not quite to the body but similar to what they do when you come up behind them and they stomp their feet and stick the wings out a bit.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    7 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Not aware of anything obvious, other 2 birds are perfectly fine.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Read #2 VERY INTERESTING

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Runny, ok color and white part. Obviously very small due to lack of steady eating.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Fluids, all the food above, dewormer.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Vet quoted $300 for xrays/blood work so I chose to stop at the first $150 we spent arriving at no obvious physical injury, worms or gram infections.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    N/A

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    First 5 day I kept indoors in kitchen on straw hey box at 80C. Last 2 days I have let her roam in the backyard again hoping she will eat on her own in between forced meals.
    NO aggressive behavior form the other chickens.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Is she egg bound. Does she seem to be as active as usual? Tail up or down?

3. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Take a very careful look at the bottom of her feet. Bumble foot could be the cause... Try a soak in warm water, in case the problem is egg related. Good luck! Keep us posted...

4. fllpunk

May 23, 2010
    Gainesville, fl
    See edits above
    Thank you.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    does her vent area look swollen or is it pulsating like she is pushing? If you've soaked her once doesn't mean you can't soak more times if it could help. You can also put her on a heating pad with towel over top to help her relax. If your leaning towards egg bound ,you can also oil up her vent with vaseline or olive oil. also how is her crop is it flat in the morning and full at night? forgot to ask has she molted or is she in molt?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  6. fllpunk

May 23, 2010
    Gainesville, fl
    @ Lydia : I have seen some pulsation yes.
    The crop : well the most puzzling part is that she DOES eat but only the same thing once, so every day i have to feed her something new. The day after I fed her the mealworms, she showed NO INTEREST IN THEM, but actually ate the oats around them!. So her crop will be semi full at night and empty in AM but only because I feed her. I see her foraging in yard but not sure shes actually eating more than staring.
    No molting.
    How do I lube the vent w/o hurting her? I guess I need to read up on the procedure and do more hot baths!?

7. charsbird

charsbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Vermont
    Is she growing some new feathers? Look for pin feathers. Sounds like one of my house chickens, exactly. All of your symptoms, and she didn't want to be near other birds, and didn't want me to hold her either, as though the new pin feathers hurt her.

8. manichicks

manichicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Try baby aspirin and soaked dry cat food and force feed her. She sounds very small at three pounds at 11 months, but the staring fixed eye thing is always a clue to me that she is on her way out. I would be force feeding her a little three times a day, and oral dosing sugar water. I am surprised no infection showed up. I would think she was soem kind of necrotic enteritis going on and it hurts when she eats and so everyday thinks that food is causing the pain.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hows your girl doing this morning?

10. fllpunk

May 23, 2010
    Gainesville, fl
    Still there.
    No interest in food now. Force feeding fluids (pedialite with a little sugar).
    Still going about yard, i notice that when i pick her up from the bottom she winces as if im squeezing directly into her chest which Im not.
    It;s not a molt issue Im sure.
    Im afraid to feel inside her vent (never done it).
    Ill try the hot bath again see if its an egg issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by