Please help - Roo or Pullet for this 3 week old Sussex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by simpleliving, Apr 15, 2009.

1. simpleliving

simpleliving Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    I have no experience in this but this little one is becoming quite the mean little thing - bites me every chance it gets and squawks all the time! Cricket was the one that got picked on incessantly by my 5 week old Welsummer when she first came home - I separated them for a couple of days and then all was fine, but now she is being more agressive. She squirms and squawks constantly when I pick her up but is not one bit afraid of me when I put my hand in the brooder. She actually runs over to my hand... to bite me! Is driving me crazy and I am beginning to wonder if she is a he! I noticed her feathers are coming out on her shoulder area but in a different way then my other 3. So, please take a look and let me know what you think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Holli

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  2. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    I don't know a lot, but it does look a little like a roo.

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    speckled sussex are slower to mature...

4. simpleliving

simpleliving Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Good to know about them maturing slowly - I was wondering why she was still smaller and had less feathers. About how much are they behind other breeds? My Light Brahma is the same age and much more feathered. When can you typically tell the sex of a Sussex?

Thanks,

Holli

5. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Thank goodness some one said that, because I was wondering why mine weren't growing as the same rate as the other chicks too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by