1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help!!! Rooster is under the weather!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mandelke86, Mar 6, 2014.

1. mandelke86

mandelke86 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    So i recently switched my chicken food to some organic food it was a dollar more and i figured what ever! so i did this and mixed a little of the old food less than i should of however. Anyways today i noticed my rooster hasn't moved much and there is green poop! What should i do?? I read somewhere that cayenne pepper helps so i added about .5 T to their water! Please help!!

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I personally wouldn't add cayenne to their water unless they have a fresh alternate source without additives. If your bird is exhibiting an upset digestive system, cayenne may be just the ticket, or, depending on what's wrong, just the wrong addition. If for example the bacteria or whatever causing his loose stools is one that strips the lining of the gut, cayenne would be nothing you'd want to give him at that point.

I was never slow and steady with introducing new foods and never had a problem, but then again my chooks were always exposed to a lot more than the average cage bird, being free range, so I think that helps. I would think chances are the new food contains a bacteria he's never been exposed to so he's reacting in a sensitive manner. But it might be disease.

I would give him fresh, finely minced or crushed raw garlic, maybe in a medium like yoghurt to entice him to eat it if he won't. Raw freshly crushed/cut/damaged garlic contains Allicin, an extremely potent natural antibiotic, which is proven to kill bacteria including food poisoning ones that the strongest artificial antibiotics cannot kill. It's made up of the enzyme interaction of freshly damaged garlic.

Garlic also contains 34+ other natural antibiotics, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antifungal, antiviral compounds as well as sulfur which is an enemy of all parasites, internal and external, and disease and viruses, and aids in rapid healing.

Asides from that, looking into what disease it may be would always render some valuable information. Best wishes.

3. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Can you check your feed for mold and find the date it was packaged? Sometimes, I am sad to say, organic feeds will sit on the shelf longer in some parts of the country where it doesn't sell as well. When it sits longer, there is a greater chance for it to go bad, mold, or otherwise spoil depending on the ingredients.
    I am not trying to dissuade you from organic feed, I use it myself, I am just offering a possible explanation.

What feed is it, exactly?

If you rule out the feed being bad, I would think maybe this is an unfortunate circumstance and maybe something else is wrong. All of your other birds are okay, right?

4. mandelke86

mandelke86 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    So thanks for the help ended up just giving him a shot of penicillin he's fine now been good for the past two days! I'm not wondering if it was E. coli

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by