PLEASE HELP!!! Rooster just staying where left, head down to the floor!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by new2green, Dec 5, 2013.

1. new2green

new2green Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    I am very new to raising chickens as well as in this forum. I adopted a rooster, two chickens and a few one week chicks from the pound and I enjoy them so much!!.
    I work every day and only get home by 7pm. I am in Florida, so it's nice and warm and they are OK until I take them to the coop. But I keep the chicks separate (I was told it has to be so until they are 8 weeks old) so the big ones go out during the day to free range.
    Yesterday my rooster was just sitting on the floor, I thought he was sleeping. I put him in the coop and he did not move, not even to go to his perch, I thought he was sleeping.
    This morning my husband let them out and mentioned Henry was asleep again, he had to take him out of the coop, he just sat on the floor. But when I got home at night, I noticed he is clearly sick. He is wheezing, making bubbling noises and won't move. I took him from the coop so the others won't get sick and brought him inside the house.
    His head is down to the floor and he won't move.
    it's night, I don't know what to do, PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Thank you

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds like he could have caught a respiratory disease, as wheezing and gurgling are two common symptoms. Is he unable to lift his head, or is he just weak and doesn't want to lift it?

Its good that you isolated him from the other birds. Respiratory diseases spread quickly, and even though your other birds have probably already been exposed, its still a good idea to isolate a sick bird. If you have some, give him electrolytes and probiotics. Get some antibiotics, too. Tylan50 is a great antibiotic for respiratory diseases, but another antibiotic like Duramycin or Terramycin would probably work too. Not all respiratory diseases are bacterial, so antibiotics might not treat the disease. However, they will prevent a secondary bacterial disease from developing while the bird's immune system is weakened.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He may have a respiratory disease. You should probably check inside his beak and throat in case there are yellow or gray patches that shouldn't be there, and also for a foreign object, just to rule that out. Look in his eyes for bubbles and eye or face swelling, and for any nasal drainage. Is he coughing or sneezing, or gasping. Does he crow or use his voice? Is he able to stand or use his legs? Here is a list of common diseases including the respiratory ones such as mycoplasma, coryza, aspergillosis, and others. Sometimes botulism or limberneck can have respiratory symptoms. Click here for the link: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

1 person likes this.
  4. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    The wheezing and bubbling noises do suggest a respiratory problem. However, don't give up hope.
    My Sultan had severe
    crook neck twice when he was young. His neck was very twisted, and he hardly moved for days, spinning and falling over if he tried.

We took him to the vet on the 1st occasion, and they wanted to put him down, but we took him home instead.

On both occasions we simply kept him hydrated by giving him water via a syringe/small sponge and some scrambled egg.

He picked up slowly but surely both times and he's still with us 2 years later.

I guess if it is a respiratory problem then he would benefit from some antibiotics though.

Good luck with him!

5. new2green

Nov 16, 2013
    I am devastated, Henry died during the night. I brought him inside and left a message for the vet, but this morning he was dead.
    My son buried him in the back yard and my chicken just stayed there for a long time, it was so sad.
    He was such a cool rooster, so sweet and smart...
    Thank you all for the attention, I failed him

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss, but there was nothing that you could do. He was from the pound, probably had a carrier respiratory disease that just flared up, and he died. At least you took him in and gave him a good life. Watch out for any signs of sneezing, coughing, runny nose, swelling of the eyes or face, or wheezing/rattles from the rest of the flock. You might want to keep some oxytetracycline or Tylan Soluble Powder around just in case--even if you never use it, it's there for any recurrence of illness.

7. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    You didn't fail him, you did your best, and it really doesn't sound like you could have done anything else.

Take care :)

8. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    I am sorry. We love our animals don't we. [​IMG]

9. new2green

Nov 16, 2013
    Thank you guys. I felt so bad, I didn't want to come back. But then I have the others to look after and better learn from you all.
    I did love him, he was the coolest rooster I've ever met (and the only), but I will always have good memories of Henry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by