please help! rooster with pus, and warts? to comb,face,wattles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by augiedranch, Nov 1, 2008.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i just noticed this today, i have two jersey giant roosters, and 8 jersey giant hens (other roos and hens too,,) but the jersey giants are all the same age and all came from the same hatchery. they are five months old.

malachi is smaller than noah and his tail is down.. thats what made me look closer at him today. he has these wart, pus filled bumps all over his face! it looks painful, and he smells! the comb is deformed, they are like little round bumps,, ive never seen this before.. what can i do? there are not ANY vets around here that would treat chickens, or i WOULD take him. please let me know what i can do and what this is.. should i seperate him? none of my other chickens have anything wrong with them. they are all beautiful and fine.

thanks in advance for ur help

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Do you have a picture? Sounds like fowl pox from what you're describing. If that's what it is he'll just have to get over it on his own. It's a virus and can be transmitted by mosquitoes. More than likely the rest of the flock will get it too, but it may be mild.

3. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    yes, i looked at pics. its exactly what he has... omy! can i vaccinate the others for it if they are all fine, and i went out and seperated him just a minute ago. i think its the dry kind, but im not sure.. i thought mcmurray hatchery vaccinated the baby chicks? or i would have!

do i have to put him to sleep?
    can i get it?

and most importantly. where did it come from???!! i know it says mosquitoes,, but where did those mosquitoes get it? etc. my neighbor has a bunch of chickens and turkeys who are NOT taken good care of,, could my birds have gotten it from them?

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Pox CAN be transmitted from other birds depending on how close they are. Mainly it is from mosquito bites though. Once they have it, it just has to run its course, kinds like the flu in people. Vaccinating is only good BEFORE they have it. Once they have the pox they won't get them again. The only real concern is if they get the wet pox in their mouth and throat and it causes them to choke to death on their food and such. Don't panic death is not usually involved with pox, just keep an eye on them.

5. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by