PLEASE HELP! Runny poo in chicken yard this morning. Am I over acting?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Water Pixie, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Water Pixie

Water Pixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Paw Paw, MI
    This spring I got 13 chicks at my farm store. All was going well. About 3 weeks ago a breeder in the area decided to close down do to a large raccoon attack. I got 15 rather ruffed up Dominique's, two being Roosters. I also got 1 speckled Sussex,1 barred Rock, and at lest 3 Ameraucana assorted birds which I haven't figured them all out yet.

The breeders coop was really dirty [​IMG] the "bedding" was poo on poo. The birds smelled really bad.

There new living area is a 7 by 24 coop with wood shavings over a sand ground. The hens are free range all day and the 8 roosters have a 24ft by 25ft yard. (The rooster do not seem to be having any problems, normal poop.

The first week I had them there poo was runny, I thought stress but by the end of the week the poop had not changed, and one bird was not acting normal (that bird didn't make it). Upon closer inspection I found bloody poop.

I did some quick googling and decided to treat them for coccidiosis with corid for 7 days. Most of the poop firmed up. the birds have been off of corid since last thursday os 5 days. This morning I notest more runny poop maybe only 1 to 3 birds, an hour or so after that I found a runny, bloody? poop.

Went out again to see how everyone is doing this afternoon, everyone is acting normal. No more runny poop.

So what should my next step be?

Water Pixie

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by