Please help... sand in brooder question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tjparker60, Aug 18, 2016.

1. tjparker60

tjparker60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2016
    Just got my baby chicks on Wednesday. I have them in a brooder with sand underneath paper towels. Was going to make sure they were eating good and then in a few days is take the paper towels away. Before setting up my brooder I did tons of research and decided sand would be ideal. The other night I decided to do more research and came across this article so now I'm afraid to use the sand! Please help me!!!
    http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/07/the-real-scoop-on-using-sand-in-your.html?m=1

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Wood shavings, covered with paper towels are an option. Other members use wire mesh. I'm sure that there are lots of alternatives to sand.

3. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    I actually went the opposite from CT. We put down puppy training pads then covered them with pine shavings. 20 chicks in a 2x4 brooder for a couple weeks then doubled the size of the brooder for 3 more weeks. We changed out shavings every other day and only went thru 1 bag before they moved to the big coop. Never any bad smells and the chicks seemed to love it.
    I've never used sand in a brooder or in my coop. I would think it would be too hot down here. I didn't read the article so I don't know what those specific concerns are.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    The article seemed to focus on chicks confusing sand for feed and crop impaction / poop issues, if I recall correctly.

5. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    Yeah. I read it after posting. I guess that's possible. It wouldn't take much sand to kill them when they are that small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by