Please Help save my 2 wk old golden. Neck has been cut

pheasantfrenzie

Songster
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
Montrose,Co
PLease help me I have a 2 wk old red golden pheasent that somehow its neck has been cut open. I have no idea on how this happened but I would like to save it. I have put triple antibiotic cream on it. It won't lay down and I am very worried since this was the only one I got to hatch. What do I do? Do I need to wrap it?
Please help

Not to freak you out.............but I always heard NOT to use Bacitracin/Neosporin on birds......or maybe it was not to use the one with the pain relief.....

I wish I could help you......Is there an aviary vet near you? Luckily I found one 1.5h away that I use in emergencies. The team there is very, very, very smart & helpful.

Is the area bleeding? How bad is the bleeding? 1st of all you wanna stop the bleeding. Use a saline solution to irrigate the area if you can.....(saline is just salt water....more water than salt) How deep is the cut? Where exactly on the neck? DO you have any butterfly bandaid things so you can approximate the cut maybe? Or, even some tape?

I would suggest building up an emergency kit for your animals. Then when you have an emergency, you will have a few things you can go to if needed.

Hoping things go well for you.............very sad when we have a hurt animal...

It is completely around the whole neck right at the base of it. I did stop the bleeding by caterizing it with the sticks. It does move it head around to get the neosporin off but it still wont lay down. I still can't find anything that would have caused this. all that is in there is the water and their food? The only thing I can think of it put its head in to get food and got stuck? I use the one with the 6 holes that screws onto a mason jar?

sounds like you are doing all you can! He might be a little agitated due to the pain. Oh....I just hate it for you. Drives me crazy when one of mine get hurt. I never knew they could get their heads stuck in the feeders..............wow! That's scarey, I use the same feeders as you.

I've got a chick that was almost pecked to death. Somehow a grown hen got in the pen and pecked the poor thing to almost nothing. I thought I would go crazy. I put some vasoline on the area, waited a day or so, then put the pecking salve.....and wouldn't you know.....chick is fine!!!

Praying for your bird and hoping he's gonna be ok. Birds are tougher than we think........and just think..........your bird has a little something extra on it's side....YOU! Good luck!

Quote:
You're correct, it's the Neosporin with the "pain relief" formulation that you should NOT use on birds.

To the OP: Look for anything about the same height as the injruy in the chicken's environment and touch everything. See what feels sharp. I wouldn't worry about the chicken laying down, I'd be more concerned if it didn't eat or drink due to the injury. Hope it's just a cut and will heal cleanly.

]Yes I have taken pix but dont know how to get them on this site???
I have downloaded them but dont know where to go from there
96444_red_golden_neck_3.jpg

96444_red_golden_neck_2.jpg

96444_pix_1_of_goldens_neck.jpg

96444_img_1686.jpg

96444_img_1694.jpg

96444_img_1696.jpg

96444_img_1700.jpg

Yea Success. Hope this helps with any suggestions

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom