Please help, sex links attacking duck and other chickens,

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PearlTheDuck, Jan 10, 2017.

1. PearlTheDuck

PearlTheDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas
    (I posted this in a different forum, and I don't want to rewrite so I'm just posting a picture of my original post)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    Sex links can be more aggressive than the other "purer" breeds. I think the duck being separated caused it to become a non-member of the flock. You say you can't separate them, but I've found, from experience, that it's always good to have an alternative when it comes to penning my flock up. If you have an area where you can set up some temporary fencing and shelter for the sex links, that's where I would put them and separate them out from the rest of the flock. They should be in a "see but no touch" situation so that they can get used to the duck being around again, and the duck doesn't get pecked. There will always be some bullying in your flock, because that is how the pecking order is established. Once the sex links have had a chance to get used to the duck again, and have been removed from the flock for a few weeks (moving them out of the pecking order), you can try again and see how it goes. As long as no blood is drawn, leave them alone. If it doesn't work, you'll either have to keep the sex links separate, or get rid of them. Sex links are good for about 2 to 3 years of egg laying, then they kind of give out. So, it depends on how much trouble you want to take to keep them confined away from the other birds. I have a small chicken tractor and a big coop. There are times when I need a smaller area (such as raising chicks) or if I have a broody hen I don't want bothered. Most of the time, I leave both coop and tractor open and the chickens roost wherever they like.

3. PearlTheDuck

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

It would definitely be a bit of a trouble for me to set up a fenced area for them but not impossible, thank you for the help :) definitely not getting anymore sex links.. any good friendly chicken breeds you recommend? Ones that get along better with other birds and such..

I never knew they gave out in 2-3 years, so I am not sure it's worth going through the trouble to build them a separate area if they are to give out next year

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  4. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    I have a mixed flock with several different types of birds. I have one sex link - a black star and she gets along great with all of the other birds. I've found my Buff Orphingtons to be friendly, along with my Easter Eggers. My Rhode Island Reds can be aggressive, so I would not recommend too many of those, although they are great egg layers! I also have some Barnvelders that are very docile, and some leghorns - the white leghorn is very peaceful, but the brown leghorns are flighty and can be argumentative with the other birds, but they are great white egg layers. My cochins are friendly, but can be rather mean on occasion to birds below them in the pecking order. None of them are mean to the point that they draw blood though. My roosters are pretty good at breaking that kind of stuff up too.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Space may be an issue. What are the measurements of the set up. Hideouts might help in the run and in the coop, but make sure they have two exits so as not to create a trap. I agree with the above poster, separating a bird from the flock often times causes more problems than it solves. Many people come here, having pulled a single bird, cannot get a single bird added back into the flock.

Personally, I would let the duck go. I would hate to get rid of a good egg layer. However, you probably could get good money for them, cause they ARE good egg layers.

Any birds, no matter how nice, will attack chicks. You will need to make some type of separation for the chicks from the flocks.

I think you may also have a space issue. Often times that makes birds very crabby and aggressive.

Mrs K

6. PearlTheDuck

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

I would never in a million years rid of my duck, she's my baby. have you owned ducks?

The coop is 8x8 feet and the duck is in a separate house that is 5x5 feet and they free range :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  7. PearlTheDuck

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

Interesting! Thank you for your help!

So far i think i will get some buff Orphingtons and Easter eggers! They seem to have very good personality's :)

8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Quote: No, I haven't owned ducks, but I am afraid that you may have taken offense were none was intended. The printed word can be difficult. What I meant is I would keep the egg layers, however, if you do cull the egg layers from your flock, you should be able to get 10-15 dollars for them, which will help pay you back for your investment.

They are your birds, do what works best for you.

Mrs K

9. PearlTheDuck

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

i am in no way offended, i apologize if it came out that i was.

Today they did not peck at her so I'm hoping it stays that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by