Please Help Sex My Bantam Cochins - Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by greenbeandreams, Nov 27, 2009.

1. greenbeandreams

greenbeandreams Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two bantam cochins (Partridge) that are 4.5 weeks old. We purchased them, special order, from a local feed store. They got them from a hatchery - straight run.

The first is Lollipop. Well, I wanted to name this little one Rocky when we brought it home because I suspected it was a he. I felt it was bad luck so we went with Lollipop. From day one, Lollipop was pushy, jumped out of his box, peeped loudly, pushed everyone around, first to eat and so on. Lollipop started developing a comb and wattles a week ago. I'm assuming Lollipop is a boy but should I hold out any hope? Here are photos taken this morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next is Willow (Will?). I've been holding out hope for her. If she's a rooster, she's the shyest, most bashful, quietest roo ever. She's the last to eat or drink. A true wall flower. Still, she has developed a comb and wattles - the wattles are reddish and the comb has maybe a touch of pink to it. Any chance it is just the breed or is Willow a Will?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We live in an urban area and are not allowed to keep roosters. Any help is much appreciated!!

2. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

I "think" the first, Lollipop, is a roo. Willow looks more like a willow than a will. Just a guess though, be easier to tell in a few more weeks.

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Both are cockerels.

4. greenbeandreams

greenbeandreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you both! I'll give up hope on Lollipop but would love a third opinion on whether Willow is a Will. Anyone??

5. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    i think the first is a roo and the second is a hen

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I say cockerel for both. Sorry [​IMG]

7. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    both look like cockerals to me [​IMG] sorry

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    dont be totally sure about the second being a roo--I posted my 5 week old bantam everyone said boy-she lays the cutest little white eggs now and I love her we call her MC ( mini chicken)... I think first is a roo though...

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Both are roos.

10. cochin123

cochin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    IS A ROO
    is a hen
    She has feathers on her upper body, hens feather out quicker than roo!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by