Please help sex this Sebright and this Polish!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Guitartists, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I know it's early yet [​IMG] they are around 3 weeks old... but I have NO experience with these breeds or their comb types. One is a Golden Sebright and the other was sold as a Polish.... but since it has extra toes is either a Polish X or possibly some kind of Houdan X......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  2. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Also...is it just me or is that Polish looking mottled?

3. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Sebrights are easy, the males will get a bigger and pinkish comb within 2 weeks of hatching, so I am pretty certain your lil one is a hen.

As to the crested, it probably is a houdan. As to gender, no clue, I find the crested breeds difficult to sex at an early age, they seem to develope so slowly. I have a couple Cream and Gold Brabanters right now which were hatched in May and on 1 you can see the skin in his face become red(no comb to speak of though). I am happy if I have at least 1 roo in the group after loosing so many(originally ordered 6 hens and 2 roos of both colours, lost all but 2 of my golds and 1 of my creams). So my fingers are crossed that the red faced one is indeed a male.
    A friend of mine has a polish pullet, with which we weren't sure at all until she got her adult feathers(poofy crest = hen) and laid an egg, she always had the reddest face, wattles and comb as a chick that we thought for sure it was a roo...... but she is a hen after all.

I Hope your little houdan is a hen!

Anna

4. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Thank you for the reply!!! When picking out the Sebright... they had so many.... I picked one with a thinner comb, hoping for a pullet [​IMG] With the other it was the only one left..so [​IMG]

5. coondog74017

coondog74017 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Check the feathers on top of the polish head if it is like a powder puff it a hen and if it brushy feather rough looking it a rooster.

6. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    I think you will have to wait a little lonmger before you can sex via crest with that lil fella, needs to get the adult plummage first i think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by