Please Help sexing 7 week Araucana/ Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by countrygirl79, Dec 23, 2008.

1. countrygirl79

countrygirl79 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    New Zealand
    Please help with the sexing of this 7 week old Lavander Araucana chick. We love it dearly but can't keep roos and the children have become very attached watching the incubation and hatching and raising of this lovely wee chick. We have no experience sexing chicks so any advice would be greatly appriciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I think pullet; doesn't look like much of a comb to me. Hopefully some of the more experienced people will chime in! Her coloring is lovely!

3. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I say pullet, if it's 7 weeks. It would probably have a comb, waddles,be bigger, and look eviler if it was a roo. Unfortunately, i'm not that experienced either.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

At this point, it appears to be a pullet, however, it isn't an Araucana, IMO, unless it's a cross. The poufy crest on the head indicates a mix.

5. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    he/ she looks just like my blue splash silkie/ OEGB mixes. About the same age too. But it looks like a she at this point. The waddles will tell in the pea comb birds.

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:Araucanas and ameraucanas do not have waddles.

I would guess pullet and looks like a mixed breed.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm not sure there is any Araucana OR Ameraucana in that bird. Where did you get it?

Jean is right, neither breed has wattles that you can even see.

8. countrygirl79

Oct 23, 2008
    New Zealand
    We brought 6 eggs through the internet claming to be Araucana's. Which we incubated in a home made incubator. 2 eggs wern't fertile and 2 died early on and 1 died on day 21/22 fully formed poor wee thing. It was our first go at incubating and our thermostate broke on day 4 so kids, husband and i checked the temp every 1/2 hour for the rest of the days. So i'm amazed that we even got one. But this is why she is so special too.We have a lot of people on trademe with birds looking like zippy and claming that they are Araucana's (i'm in New Zealand). But like i said i have no experience so ideas on her real breed would be helpful too. Thanks heaps

9. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    I'm putting money on her being a silkie cross as I've had tons just like her from my silkie projects. Also, she's a pullet unless she undergoes a sex change in the next month. Congrats!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. countrygirl79

Oct 23, 2008
    New Zealand
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here is two more pics to help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by