Please Help sexing 7 week Araucana/ Breed?

Thank you all very much it gives me hope. As she grows is there any behavour except for egg laying of course that will point to her being a pullet and not a late developing roster?

Thank you all very much it gives me hope. As she grows is there any behavour except for egg laying of course that will point to her being a pullet and not a late developing roster?

Araucanas can be quite difficult to sex - until they crow!
roll.png
I was sold an Araucana hen (by an experienced breeder!) and she was gorgeous ... then she started looking particularly handsome and then a few weeks later again, he crowed.

I hatched an araucana last Spring which I was convinced was a pullet. Unfortunately, she died before maturity, but what I did notice was that the neck feathers were curling towards the back of the neck; same thing as the hen who was a cockerel.

I now have a lavendar araucana hen and she definately does *not* have the curl back feathers. From your picture, your bird doesn't have the feathers curling towards the back of its neck, so I would say you have a hen.

Another thing I noticed with the s/he (before he crowed) was the feathers at the base of its spine, but above the tail feathers, began to grow longer and spikier.

Good luck with your bird, she's pretty
smile.png

This thread was over 3 YEARS old! LOL. The OP was in New Zealand, though, don't their ameraucanas have tufts?

And while I;m picking, ducks waDDle, chickens have waTTles! This drives me crazy!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom