1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help sexing 9 week old Polish and Plymouth Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jennieschicks, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Jennieschicks

Jennieschicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    Hello,

I am a new chicken junkie. We are homeschoolers who participated in an embryology school project through our local 4H club. After the eggs hatched, we were to raise them for a week, send them back to 4H, and then they are sent to the zoo. (to be gassed and then fed to reptiles eek!).

By that time we were all in love, and decided to keep them. I am hoping they are all pullets, but am unsure. I'd like to show you pics of all of them, but the two I am really questioning are one of my Polish and the Plymouth (or Barred?) Rock. The Plymouth Rock (or whatever he is) seems a little more agressive than the others. He will frequently do the chest bump thing with my leghorn sweetie. He isn't mean though, he doesn't do a lot of pecking...just seems a little more bossy and fast!

We are in a suburban area and NO ONE has chickens around here. We are keeping this all hush hush so a rooster would not be a good idea right now haha.

I'd be so grateful for your thoughts on my Polish and I also have a Plymouth Rock (or Barred Rock??) not sure I am so new at all this. These chicks are all around 9 weeks old. The polish in question already has red waddles while his "sister" has none. Does that mean he is a boy? Also, any thoughts on the others?

Many thanks!

This polish is larger is size than my other polish. The kids named him JOE but I am hoping for Josephine!

[​IMG]

Here is the side view of Joe with Chloe (Leghorn?? looking at me)

[​IMG]

Here is MOE (Joe's sister??) No waddles and a bit smaller in size than Joe.
    [​IMG]

Can I be sort of certian yet if Chloe is a girl? Isn't she sweet?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OKay, here is the other one I am worried about. Beautiful chick. Is he a boy or a girl? And what breed is he? Can't tell the difference between Plymouth or Barred Rock? This guy (or gal?) is definitely faster and more difficult to catch than the other ones when running around the yard! Frequently initiates chest butting with Chloe but not the others. His name is Penguin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, here is my pretty little EE, (I think?) No apparent comb or waddles on this yet. Her name is Theodore.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I know almost nothing about polish, but at nine weeks I think Jo is a boy. Moe could be a girl, but there are Polish folks who can be more positive.
    Chloe is an easter egger. The comb is what is called a pea comb, it has muffs (cheek fluff) and green-grey legs. I think chloe is a boy. That much red comb at 9 weeks pretty much has to be a boy. Although, I admit the legs are nice and thin and the color is more what I'd expect from a girl. Post pics again in 3-4 weeks.
    Penguin is a Dominique rooster. Dominiques have a rose comb, and roosters have lighter colored appearance overall. Rocks or Plymouth Rocks are a breed that comes in several varieties or colors, ie barred, white, buff, colombian, etc.
    Theodore looks like an easter egger pullet. And in that first pic I can see how much thicker Chloe's leg is, so going with Chloe as a rooster. And really, that red comb is a give away at this age.

Sorry you have so many roosters, but that's how hatching goes. Try rehoming on Craigslist or your feed store, 4-H, word of mouth, etc. And I know it's hard when you raise a rooster and love it dearly, but please keep in mind there are lots worse things than a quick, humane death and feeding a family.

3. americanvalkyrie

americanvalkyrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    Reno, NV
    Are they all 9 weeks old? If so, I'm afraid it looks like you have a lot of roosters.

Joe: I don't own polish so I'm unfamiliar with them, but those are big wattles. [​IMG]

Moe: Compared to Joe, Moe looks like a pullet.

Penguin: Oh yeah, he's a boy.

Chloe: First of all, those cheeks are too puffy to be leghorn. Do you know what color of egg he came from? Possibly a mix? That muff/beard looks very faverolle-ish or EE-ish. And yes, I'm saying "he" if it's a 9-weeker. The comb is pretty red.

Theodore: She looks like an EE, and she looks like a girl!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  4. americanvalkyrie

americanvalkyrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    Reno, NV
    [​IMG]

And really, how many sanctuaries are there in the U.S. for unwanted roosters? Unless it's good breeding stock, most unwanted roosters going to "good happy homes" go to good, happy freezers.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, and I'd forgotten the OP had the option of sending them to a local zoo to be used as feed. I just don't know if they're too large now. Guess it depends on what type of reptile we're talking about!

6. battle drone

battle drone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    your chicken coop.
    tell Andrew i do not think Theodore is a rooster and bob said hi so does h2o!

7. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    joe is a white crested black cockerel
    moe is a white crested black pullet
    chloe is an ee cockerel
    penguin is a dominique cockerel (rose comb is dominique and single comb is a plymoth rock)
    theodore is an ee pullet

so you have 3 cockerels and 2 pullets

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]you could send joe and chloe to me i would love those 2 cockerels lol [/FONT]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  9. Jennieschicks

Jennieschicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    Well that is a bummer. I really appreciate all of your collective chicken wisdom. I guess two out of five ain't bad. Now I just have to figure out what to do with these roos!

Thanks so much.

10. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Joe:White-crested black polish; In the second photo, Joe looks like he/she has a rounded out head tuft, which is characteristic in Polish hens. Roos should have more scraggly, pointy head tufts.
    Moe: White-crested black polish; I'd say she's definitely a pullet.
    Chloe: EE; I don't know yet; Except for the comb, Chloe looks like a pullet
    Theodore: EE; Looks like she's a pullet.
    Penguin: Dominique: That's a pretty large, red comb for his age, so I'm going to guess roo. Although, we did have a pullet which had us guessing for a while til she got nearer to laying. LOL

I hope this helps! I think the toughest thing in raising chickens is waiting to tell if they're hens or roos!!! LOL :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by