Please help sexing my barnyard mutts

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LarryPQ, Oct 16, 2009.

1. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Well, I think I heard the sound of a teenage boy with a broken voice trying to sing a opretic soprano duet with a drowning cat. I haven't heard it since, but I figured it was time to find out what ya'll think.

They are (almost all) EEs, Leghorn-mutts, Bhrama-mutts, or some other crazy combination. I have two more Bhrama-mixes and one leghorn, that are not pictured because ...well when they all move around constantly, I cannot figure out who's picture I have already taken. [​IMG]

The big kids are 12 weeks (?) and the banties are 8(?) weeks.

I appreciate any comments you have.

EDITED: I have 2 OEGBs, but they look EXACTLY the same.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Second set of pictures looks like all pullets. The first group the pictures were a bit small to be sure.

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    crumbum. I hoped the thumbnail would pop up bigger. Lemmie fix.

4. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Hi Laree,
    I have no experience with bantams - so I'm not answering on those. On your full-size chickens - it looks like #s 2, 3, 4, 6, & possibly 8 are roos. Typically, large wattles & combs don't appear on pullets until they are a lot older. My leghorn pullets didn't even have combs that big until they were almost 20 weeks of age. You can see pics of my pullets at different ages here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=19548-from-chicks-to-pullets-to-hens

I also noticed #2 has pointed sickle feathers (a roo trait) - take a look at the other suspected roos and see if they have pointed feathers starting to grown around the tail area also.

#7 doesn't look to have wattles, but he also looks like he has a pea comb - if he's an EE mix, then he won't get wattles. There are EE combs on the above link also.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    How funny would it be if the lady I bought them from COULD sex chickens and sold me all roos?!!! I would totally crack up!

And then I would have chicken dinner.

I am pretty sure #4 & #7 are roos. #4 is my suspected crower. #7 is the only EE with a 3-row peacomb. As for the leghorns, it is hard to tell the size difference unless I have them all standing together. Some of them make little bawk-bawk-baaawk sounds...and others make more squally sounds. I don't know if that makes any sense at all. My theory is the leghorns gettting more brown on them are girly.

My friend has leghorns and they all have big-ol-ugly combs and waddles. #3 & #6 are my non-brawlers. One of my leghorns is always fighting with #4 and is easily spotted because its comb regularly looks abused. I don't think that one is pictured.

I don't really know....I knew half would be roos, which is why none of them have names.

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    All three of these pullets (EE, PR, & WLH) were 18 weeks old when this picture was taken. Their combs were still light pink and they didn't have much in the way of wattles.
    [​IMG]

After they are laying - that's another story. These are two of the same pullets pictured above about a month later and after they started layings:
    [​IMG]

7. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Here is what I think...

#2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8 are roos.

#1 is hard to tell from the pic.

#8 is definitely a roo because he has a skinny feathered top-knot. The females are more bouffant.

Sorry!

Shelly

8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Quote:This is good news! My other polish is SO bouffant we are going to have to trim her! Silly girl ?? :FL :FL :FL

[​IMG]

9. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:This is good news! My other polish is SO bouffant we are going to have to trim her! Silly girl ?? :FL :FL :FL

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/36979_img_1631.jpg

Ummm...if this is the Polish you are talking about being bouffant, then I hate to tell you, but he's a boy, too! [​IMG] What I mean by bouffant is the feathers on the headdress are wide fluffy feathers, not stringy skinny feathers.

Here's a link...you'll see the difference immediately.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Polish/BRKPolish.html

Shelly

10. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Now I am laughing even harder----my husband, Mr NO ROOSTERS!, picked those from the feed store

But I will hold out hope for the black one, because the pic was bad & I had to crop it because the chicken was in motion. I looked at your site and black polish is more bouffant.... thick like grandma's hair in the 60s. They are both still younger than the mutts, only 10 or 11 weeks.

EDITED; Don't worry, you can't rain on my opimism parade. [​IMG] A few extra roos means I can hatch more next spring.... MUAHAHAHAHHAHA!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by