We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Please help sexing these young Isbars...Thanks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Allyn, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Allyn

Allyn Songster

Jan 26, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Silkie hen

Silkie hen Chirping

Mar 15, 2012
    North Carolina
    All Roosters
    [​IMG]

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Agree all roos.

4. dretd

dretd Crowing

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    I am not convinced of the boy-ness of the bunch. Allyn could you please let us know how old these guys are? Isbars are very rare (as in $99/unsexed chick) ever in the States so I/we are not super experienced in the sexing. More info would be greatly appreciated!

5. texas75563

texas75563 Songster

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
    Top picture, 4th chicken furthest back is a hen. 2nd pic is a hen.

I paid no attention to comb and wattles. Based my decision on the v shaped tail feathers. From pictures I've seen on net of Isbars that indicates pullets.

I'm a rookie at breed and gender guessing. I read and compare pictures. As always, wait for the more experienced users. That's my 2 cents.

6. Allyn

Allyn Songster

Jan 26, 2012
    Thanks for all your efforts. They are about 3 and a half months old.

7. dretd

dretd Crowing

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    So that would make them 14 weeks or so. There are a few breeds that are near point of lay at 14 weeks. So are all of these chicks from a single order and do you have others that you are not showing us (I see a blue or black one lurking in one picture with far less comb development)? If you have many of the same age, it may be helpful for us to make guesses if we see the whole set for comparison, since you have an unusual breed many have never seen. Very pretty chooks!

8. Allyn

Allyn Songster

Jan 26, 2012
    I will take new and better pictures and post. Thanks for you efforts

9. Allyn

Allyn Songster

Jan 26, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    With the orange color I would say they are all males. I could be wrong because I have never observed that color in a hen. My splash hens are blue and white, period.

[​IMG]

My rooster doesn't have any of the orange coloring either.

[​IMG]

If you go to Feathersite here : http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Isbar/BRKIsbar.html you can see pictures of Isbars with the orange coloring. The splash hen shown on feathersite appears to have a bit of orange too.

I am not good at sexing birds and am often wrong on my own birds. That is why I don't do it for anyone else's.

Stonelakemomma3 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: