Please Help.. She is getting worse, looked like Vent Prolapse

Aug 15, 2020
Italy
I need help, please, any idea of what’s happening and what can I ado to help my little amami?
This morning I Found my 2 months old coturnix Quail Hen with what I thought was a prolapse vent
Photos should explain better
A”sac” it’s hanging out from the vent, feels bumpy, i would guess full of poop
I applied lubricant all around the vent opening w/ Q-Tip and fells like there isn’t an area where poop could come out,
only in one spot there is a leak, and
1B54FF63-447B-42E6-AB01-E136C20F5E6F.jpeg
12F325F9-0C36-4AB4-9891-09C95925A682.jpeg
217A53A7-B929-450E-8666-4CB912508A6A.jpeg
EBB56CD1-3B2B-42B0-A311-D8D18BD3D530.jpeg
liquid white poop is dripping out
Last hour she seems a bit better and she’s looking for food, but I only supplied water.
-BriefHistory: when she laid her first two eggs she had an issue that luckily I was able to fix reading the forum
The first egg looked like was too big and was stuck halfway out, I lubricated her and got it out Also I put “back in” what was hanging out
With the second egg she was struggling to push it out and The warm Bath w/Epsom Salt worked magic.
After this rough start, I start supplying oysters shell and everything is been great, and her Vent looked like nothing ever happened the day after
( The 2 eggs had spots of soft shells, her sister’s start laying normal eggs )

Last edited:
Today she look about the same but getting skinny, to keep her clean Im using a cotton ball with warm water and I apply Aquafor ointment
My fear is that the membrane sticking out (colon?) is gonna burst and cause a major infection
I just don’t know what to do

Today she look about the same but getting skinny, to keep her clean Im using a cotton ball with warm water and I apply Aquafor ointment
My fear is that the membrane sticking out (colon?) is gonna burst and cause a major infection
I just don’t know what to do
Has she been able to poop? Do you have an avian vet?

I don’t know if this would be the right thing, but if it is a prolapse, have you tried to gentle put it back in?

Has she been able to poop? Do you have an avian vet?

I don’t know if this would be the right thing, but if it is a prolapse, have you tried to gentle put it back in?
- There is a little bit of poop coming out from one side, that probably adds up to 1 average size poop in the last 24h. I didn’t gave her any food yesterday, only water and this morning a little piece of apple
since she’s hungry

- Since it looked like a possible prolapse at first I tried to lubricate the area and gently push it in, but won’t work because is more like an “hernia”?( I’m not sure what the right term is) It’s hard, and looks and feels like is full of poop 😩

You have a medical emergency here. You need witch hazel and cortisone cream.

The prolapse needs to be kept lubricated or the tissue will die and so will its little owner. Have you seen any egg material come out? How about clear fluids? The prolapse may not stay inside until the obstruction is cleared, and that could take hours or even days.

Use the witch hazel on a soft cloth to push the prolapse gently and slowly back inside. Then smooth on the cortisone cream to shrink the tissue and relieve the pain. Do this several times a day.

Give her a half a calcium tablet each day until this crisis resolves. Supply plenty of fresh water to keep her hydrated or that will prolong the crisis.

If there’s an egg in the prolapse, wash your hands, put on gloves, lubricate your fingers with water-based lubricant, and very, very gently move the tissue back over the egg until it’s out. When this happened to one of my hens, the tissue was kind of twisted around the egg, so it took time and attention.
Then once you’ve got the egg out (or if there’s not an egg, skip right to this step, with clean, gloves, lubricated fingers, gently push the tissue back in. If you have vetricyn, spray the cloaca once the tissue is back in.
Keep her in a dark, quiet place. I’m not sure if quail are the same as chickens, but you want to try to interrupt the laying cycle for a few days so her vent tissue can recover.

This happened to my hen when she’d just started laying eggs. She laid a couple whoppers (and still does) after that, but she recovered. I hope your quail is ok.

Back
Top Bottom