PLEASE HELP! sick babies....shock?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessica1982, Feb 4, 2014.

1. jessica1982

jessica1982 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2013
    mesquite, tx
    Advice needed please!

My new babies arrived yesterday. Thanks to my wonderful post office they arrived at around 7pm, instead of me picking them up. ( and I raised all kinds of hell for it). 3 passed with in minutes of opening the box and since then I am up to 11 gone! One of my sweet cochins eyes are shut. I gently cleaned them until they opened and a horrible glob of puss came out, which startled me since it didn't seem swollen and it was ALOT. I applied vetricyn (sorry for spelling) hoping that will work. But I don't know what else to do. McMurray suspects shock since they were in the cold so long. They were super cold. I moved the sick one into another area but I placed 2 others with her because she was screaming being alone. She's not squawking since I cleaned her eyes so I'm sure they were very painful. I've given them gro-gel and the electrolyte supplements that came with them. All have their vaccines. Are we out of the woods yet or should I expect to lose more?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  2. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    As far as my limited knowledge goes only time will tell. However the stupidity of the P.O. infuriates me. YOU NEED TO WRITE A LETTER TO YOUR CONGRESS MAN / WOMAN. THE P.O. HATES LETTERS OF CONGESSIONAL COMPLAINT. I worked as a carrier for 27 years at the P.O. I was forced into retirement from the stress supervisors put on carriers. HOWEVER that does NOT excuse the negligence and down right stupidity of this carrier. I sure hope the rest of your chicks survive. As I have said before ! IF YOU ARE GOING TO ORDER CHICKENS THROUGH THE MAIL PAY THE EXTRA $ AND HAVE THEM SENT EXPRESS MAIL !

3. jessica1982

Mar 30, 2013
    mesquite, tx
    I order from Murray McMurray, they arrived when they were supposed to. It was my local office who messed up. I've already contacted consumer affairs, which is who oversees local offices. The branch supervisor didn't bother returning my call, and a clerk laughed at me when I called to reach the supervisor.

My sick girl made it thru the night, no worse than last night. Hopefully that's a good sign. Time to clean eyes and apply more meds.

4. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    Jessica, So glad your girl made it thru the night. ! That brings hope ! Keep after the P.O. . Their greatest tactic is to just wear you down. Congressional letters are (usually) responded too.(quickly)
    They, consumer affairs (Ha) and local supervisors will put you off as much as possable. 1. They are buried in paper work. 2. Because they (too) are overloaded. 3. Because they are overloaded they just don't give a d----! Good luck ! Sure hope none of the other chicks die. Sounds like you are doing all the right things to keep them alive. Don't know how cold it is there but I assume you have them inside and warm. You mentioned the chickes 'arrived on time'. Yes BUT, the amount of time between M.Mc. and you even with Priority Mail takes DAYS ! EXPRESS MAIL is NEXT DAY ! Best wishes !

5. jessica1982

Mar 30, 2013
    mesquite, tx
    Yes they are all inside, sharing my bathroom. It was next day, they arrived the very next morning. It was my local post office that called me from a blocked number and didn't leave a message. I missed the call and of course had no idea who it was. Which also didn't happen on my last 2 shipments. Didn't lose anymore Thank God. My sick one is resting and eating and drinking even tho she can barely see. Her eyes haven't reclosed yet so I think the ointment is starting to do its thing. And yes calling the local post office did nothing. The clerk thought she put me on hold and I got to hear her laughing about why I was calling. Heard the whole conversation. The supervisor that time I called had left for the day. It's just then trying to cover their butts. And I haven't gone up there for obvious reasons. Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll be writing a nice letter today.

6. jessica1982

Mar 30, 2013
    mesquite, tx
    Quick question. Is terra-vet 10 safe to give them? And if so regular dosage? Thanks in advance!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by