please help! sick baby chick..hard abdomen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunket77, Jan 13, 2010.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    she/he is 4 weeks old
    she is acting very weak, sleeping all the time, fluffed up.
    Her crop is soft.
    Not sure about poop just yet. But the abdomen and intestines are hard and she keeps shivering.
    She is on chick starter and duramycin-10 and in a brooder under a heat lamp.
    She has been on the antibiotics for about 6 days and no sign of improvement, seems to be getting worse.
    Please help!!!!!

2. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    just wanted to add poop is normal color but kind of firm.
    I am hearing a crunchy sound when she breathes.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  3. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    anybody?.. I am sorry to bump, I am afraid I am going to loose this little guy!

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I am sorry [​IMG] wish I could help but I have no idea.

Crunchy breathing - sounds like lung issues. Any nasal discharge or sneezing?

Hard belly - [​IMG]

Is this a house raised chick or an outdoor chick? (I know she is in a brooder now - just wonder about before she got sick)

Is she eating? Does not sound like the duramycin is doing any good for her - not targeting the problem.

[​IMG] Wish I could help. [​IMG]

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

There must be respiratory distress if you hear noise when the chick is breathing. Maybe someone here will know the name of an antibiotic used for respiratory problem.

6. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    oh I think that's what she is on... I am worried she won't make it through the night. She is shivering under the heat lamp, I think she must have a fever. She has been moved around a bit since birth. At one week she went outside with her 12 other siblings and their broody mother. Then when the freezing temp came I moved mom into the main coop and took all the babies inside during the freeze. I separated her a day before I brought in the others when I noticed she was not bouncing around like the rest of her hatch-mates. Now the others are back outside and I have 2 others in the brooder inside to keep her company. She has been on the duramycin for about 6 days.

7. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I called the vet, and he said with the hard abdomen it could be a condition where the yolk wasn't absorbed properly and no has gotten infected. On top of what seems like a respiratory infection. I just don't think she is going to make it [​IMG] This will be first loss of a baby chick if she doesn't [​IMG] we had a hatch of 13 out of 14 and the one that didn't hatch was a dud. I have been very lucky so far and out of our other flock I lost one free-ranger to a dog a couple of days ago. Our only loss since we started in april of last year. I just wish there was something I could do!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] I just hate that she is suffering and I can't help her! That's what I get for having a favorite!

8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Murphy's Law strikes again. Sorry to hear of the trouble, but it didn't sound good from the beginning of your message. The sooner she goes the better for her. Look on the bright side, you have had great outcomes so far.

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry about your chicky. Tylan works best for respiratory issues. I wish I had advice about the hard abdominal.......I don't know. If you can pm dlunicorn or Speckledhen, they know more about that stuff. i would think at 4 weeks the yolk would not have been a problem.......hummm. The first symptoms sound more like perhaps coccidia. I treat with Corid for that, straight in the mouth then in the water after that.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  10. Sunflower

Sunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    HOpe your little chick is ok. I lost a couple chicks when my group was a lot younger, but they didn't really give us any warning, no symtoms. I'm thinking of you, I know it's hard. I working w/ a sick hen and don't know what else to try either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by