Please help! Sick baby Wyandotte!!

ledforda14

Hatching
Jun 11, 2016
Posted this yesterday and nobody replied.

She is still here.....so far.....

Here is my update:
I think her breathing has slowed but is louder-She looks pitiful- wants to sleep but will startle/move when prompted. They are late sleepers but clearly she is sick. Poop is now all white. One piece from overnight had small brown normal looking poop but then 3-4 all white ones.

Gave more electrolyte solution and tried to make a food slurry. She does not have interest in eating it appears but seems to enjoy the water/electrolyte.

All of the vets are closed except the ER vet who is 2 hours away and said that they would "try" to take a look at her. Not very promising. Can she wait? Do I offer anything else? I read about nutrical? sugar water? antibiotics that you can get from feed store?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Original Message:

My 10 chicks are in a warm Brooder. Paper towels for substrate. Cleaned 4 to 5 times a day. On starter feed only. Water and electrolytes.

Today I noticed that one of my smaller chicks was squinty eyed. When I checked her, I noticed that her abdomen was swollen. I had already fed and believe everyone are but not 100% sure. I am sure that she drank and had normal poop today. Clean vent and nares. Breathing slightly increased and slight click sound heard. I have separated her for monitoring and gave more water/electrolytes. What could it be? Any advice on how to help? Thanks in advance!

Thank you both for responding.

Yes, I separated her from the rest yesterday. The crop appears to empty well- I did not feel it this morning until I offered more fluids and then I could feel it again. I do not know if that matters regarding sour crop.

The abdomen does NOT pop/crackle. It feels full but somewhat soft. I dont know the best way to describe it but it reminds me of almost if she was just fat....some soft give but full- not too tight, not real soft like an underdeflated balloon.

I hope that makes sense.Thanks again.

Thank you both for responding.

Yes, I separated her from the rest yesterday. The crop appears to empty well- I did not feel it this morning until I offered more fluids and then I could feel it again. I do not know if that matters regarding sour crop.

The abdomen does NOT pop/crackle. It feels full but somewhat soft. I dont know the best way to describe it but it reminds me of almost if she was just fat....some soft give but full- not too tight, not real soft like an underdeflated balloon.

I hope that makes sense.Thanks again.

I'm sorry,I don't know,i don't,I'm very sorry

Hello. :frow Hmm....I really don't know what this could be. It's good that she seems interested with the water. I guess for now just make sure she's comfortable. And if she's laying down a lot make sure she doesn't get pasty butt.....

I wonder if she has a lot of fluid in her stomach? If she does, I wonder if there's a way to drain it? Keep us updated.

Thank you!

I read that you can use a needle to relieve both air or water should it be either one but I am worried about doing it prematurely.

Can I cause greater harm by attempting it?

How often should I be encouraging her to drink? Eat?

Do I need to supplement with anything else? Sugar water? Nutrical?

I know there are no fool proof answers here but I just want to try for her. I am so upset because I have checked all chicks daily for everything I could (eating/drinking/clean nares/vents/marks/etc) and know she was outwardly fine.

How long can they be sick and rebound? Anyone have ideas? How do I balance hope here?

Thanks again!

Thank you!

I read that you can use a needle to relieve both air or water should it be either one but I am worried about doing it prematurely.

Can I cause greater harm by attempting it?

How often should I be encouraging her to drink? Eat?

Do I need to supplement with anything else? Sugar water? Nutrical?

I know there are no fool proof answers here but I just want to try for her. I am so upset because I have checked all chicks daily for everything I could (eating/drinking/clean nares/vents/marks/etc) and know she was outwardly fine.

How long can they be sick and rebound? Anyone have ideas? How do I balance hope here?

Thanks again!

I honestly don't much about relieving air or water and I've never done it myself. I remember reading a thread and they had released some fluid from one of their birds so I thought I might suggest it. :) They didn't say how they had done though. :/

As far as drinking and eating I'd just put a dish of water in there with her all the time. You could even do this with food as well. About every hour or two you can dip her beak in the water or put some water in your hand and hold it out to her. With the food, maybe just put some in your hand and hold it out to her. You could also cut vegetables or fruit into tiny pieces (or mush it) and then put it in her food to make her more curious about her food. Just make sure it's mushed or really small pieces.

I don't really know anything else about supplements besides putting electrolytes in her water. I've read that you can use honey water opposed to sugar water. Here's a thread that has some supplement info that I think would be helpful to you:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/44039/sugar-water-and-baby-chicks

It seems like you're doing a good job with her so far, so keep it up! :thumbsup And remember, it's not yours or anyone else's fault that this happened.

I don't really know if there's an exact span that chickens are sick for, really it could be any amount of time. Chickens can also bounce back really quickly and be fine. Don't lose all your hope here, as I said chickens can bounce back quickly from things and they can survive unbelievable things too. Don't have complete hope that she will survive and be ok either though. Settle for somewhere in the middle. :)

Thanks for the response and encouragement. I will do all of the things you mentioned.

She is 3 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom