1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help sick chick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by egki, Apr 3, 2016.

1. egki

egki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Bozeman montana
    I just joined BYC and the reason. I have a sick baybe chick. She is a week and a half old and she is a buff orpington and lives with 2 bigger new Hampshire reds.we think She has coccidiosis. We have been giving her antibiotics electrolytes vitamins and liquid corid in a syringe. Her crop is big and soft/mushy and she doesent drink a lot of water. We give them hard boiled eggs wirh grit and mealworms. She started acting weird when she would sit down and slowly fall over. She would never compleatly fall over. She would be the forth one to die of this. She had a seizure earlier today and thats when we started to feed her all of the antibiotics and stuff. We think that our bigger new hampshire reds may have given all 4 of them the disease but they are stronger and can fight it off.she is really tired and we lost her sister from the same thing earlier today. She throws up rarely. She did earlier today and then had another seizure. Please help anything i can do? Thanks so much for reading this!

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
  3. egki

egki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Bozeman montana
    She has the symptoms of it and we think she has gotten it from the older 2 week old new hampshire reds that she lives with.

4. egki

egki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Bozeman montana
    And she definitely has a Los of appetite. She has been having seizures but she looks much better today

5. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Then you just need to continue as you are doing and hope for the best. You can only give her the medicine and hope it works before the bacteria kills her. Good luck!

6. egki

egki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Bozeman montana
    Ok. thanks for your advice. We will definitely keep trying.if anybody else has and tips or advice then definitely reply please! Thanks to everyone whos replied!

7. egki

egki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Bozeman montana
    Hi everyone. Our little chick is doing great! Her name is crystal now and she is happy now learning to roost with the older new hamshire red chicks. She pulled through amazingly! Just wanted to update everyone!and I have a question. When do I introduce them to my hens?

8. OrganicFarmWife

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Great news

9. egki

egki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Bozeman montana
    Thanks!!!!:)

10. egki

egki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Bozeman montana
    [​IMG] these are my girls now! the light colored one is the one that was sick! She is doing fine now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by