Please Help, Sick Chicken!

DuckDuckPromise

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 4, 2021
Hi, our Easter Egger is about 5 years old and Thank The Lord, has always seemed really healthy. Today when we went to feed them, she was extremely lethargic, and very puffed up. We thought it was strange, but went about what we were doing. Then, tonight, she wasn’t on her normal roosting spot, instead she was on the ground. I don’t know a ton about chickens, but we know they tend to never sleep on the ground. She didn’t have the strength to go to her spot. So I tried to pick her up to check her over, and she started throwing up a clear liquid, and some undigested food (sunflower seed, etc.) She Is NOT herself, and we currently (my Mom and I) have her in the bathtub at the house trying to clean her up (her bottom) and try to trim her butt feathers in case of pasty butt. She did poop twice when I got her up just now, but we are just trying to take any steps we can. First of all, please pray for our chicken. Second of all, what might this be, and what can we do to help her?! Thank you in advance.

She might have blockage in her crop that keeps the food from moving down to the stomach, that's why she's weak, she's starving.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I feel like a totally horrible chicken owner/Momma! I have no clue what I’m doing! I’m now second guessing what I was feeling as a “crop” because there is another area that is very squishy. In either case, what can we do for her? Thank you so much for being patient with me, I have honestly no clue what to do!

I feel like a totally horrible chicken owner/Momma! I have no clue what I’m doing! I’m now second guessing what I was feeling as a “crop” because there is another area that is very squishy. In either case, what can we do for her? Thank you so much for being patient with me, I have honestly no clue what to do!
You're not horrible, chickens have a steep learning curve, especially if they're healthy for a long time and suddenly they're not. don't feel bad.
Can you get a picture of the areas you're talking about or find a picture of a chicken and circle the areas so we can get a better idea of where the issues are? the crop is sitting on the top of the chest, just to the side.

You're not horrible, chickens have a steep learning curve, especially if they're healthy for a long time and suddenly they're not. don't feel bad.
Can you get a picture of the areas you're talking about or find a picture of a chicken and circle the areas so we can get a better idea of where the issues are? the crop is sitting on the top of the chest, just to the side.
I was re-reading your past responses, and I completely missed the link on one of your last replies! That was so helpful, thank you!! This is certainly not a beautiful drawing (not an artist...) but maybe it will help explain. The circle labeled “1” was the first place we thought was the crop. The circle numbered “2” was the second place we thought was the crop. The 2nd one was the one that was very squishy. Does this help explain at all?

Attachments

• A24C29C4-53BE-43DD-94EE-AD2378D577E1.jpeg
    A24C29C4-53BE-43DD-94EE-AD2378D577E1.jpeg
    729.6 KB · Views: 5
I was re-reading your past responses, and I completely missed the link on one of your last replies! That was so helpful, thank you!! This is certainly not a beautiful drawing (not an artist...) but maybe it will help explain. The circle labeled “1” was the first place we thought was the crop. The circle numbered “2” was the second place we thought was the crop. The 2nd one was the one that was very squishy. Does this help explain at all?
Number 2 is the crop, but under her throat is squishy it could be an abcess that's not allowing her to eat as much as she should. Let me see what I can find out. Most people use amoxicillan for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom