PLEASE HELP!!!! Sick chicken

24mwhite

Hatching
Dec 2, 2022
We noticed our one chicken to be acting different and not having energy about a week ago. We brought her inside and separated her from the rest of the flock. Gave her electrolytes and she drank a ton of water. Ask the week went on she has slowly been deteriorating and a lot in the past two days. She now is really not moving at all or even opening her eyes and has not really drank any water or eaten in the past two days. Her symptoms are not eating or drinking, wheezing and raspy breathing, no energy, watery poop, and she has been spitting up liquid every so often. I have researched a lot and commonly saw gape worm as a common illness for these symptoms but she is not coughing or shaking her head. Also, saw other things, like ascites, and want to make sure I have the correct illness before I do any deworming, that could potentially harm her if the wrong problem. Please provide advice, she is really deteriorating quickly.

Welcome!
The majority of the stuff that you see online that is claiming to be gapeworm issues is actually respiratory diseases.
Unfortunately, if your bird does not get nutrition it will die no matter what. So the first thing that you need to think about doing is learning how to tube feed f you want to keep it alive long enough to try and figure out what's going on.

Gave her electrolytes and she drank a ton of water. Ask the week went on she has slowly been deteriorating and a lot in the past two days. She now is really not moving at all or even opening her eyes and has not really drank any water or eaten in the past two days. Her symptoms are not eating or drinking, wheezing and raspy breathing, no energy, watery poop, and she has been spitting up liquid every so often.
Is your hen's crop emptying overnight?

Sounds like she has crop symptoms, but this can often be from an underlying condition (a few examples are reproductive disorders, worms, infection and/or coccidiosis).

Is she able to poop at all? When was her last egg? Were her eggs normal or does she have a history of soft shelled eggs or productions issues?
Any bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen?

I'd work on hydration, get some coconut oil into her.
This is when it's tricky, she has a blockage or inflammation somewhere in the body that is causing the crop to not empty. Any liquids given, she spitting back up, so...
You can try tubing a flush into her to see if that helps push out a blockage, but she may also aspirate fluids back up, some birds choke and die.

Raspy, wheezing and/or gurgly breathing can be from spitting up water (aspiration/birds do not have a gag reflex), fluid in the abdomen (Ascites) or a number of other things, but I've had the gurgly/raspy breathing with hens that had reproductive cancer with fluid and crops not emptying - Just Sayin' - My 2¢
Some you can treat symptoms and baby along for a while and they will rally. Others continue to decline regardless of treatment given.

Do some reading about reproductive disorders, fluid and crop symptoms.

Here's the crop treatments I use

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Is your hen's crop emptying overnight?

Sounds like she has crop symptoms, but this can often be from an underlying condition (a few examples are reproductive disorders, worms, infection and/or coccidiosis).

Is she able to poop at all? When was her last egg? Were her eggs normal or does she have a history of soft shelled eggs or productions issues?
Any bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen?

I'd work on hydration, get some coconut oil into her.
This is when it's tricky, she has a blockage or inflammation somewhere in the body that is causing the crop to not empty. Any liquids given, she spitting back up, so...
You can try tubing a flush into her to see if that helps push out a blockage, but she may also aspirate fluids back up, some birds choke and die.

Raspy, wheezing and/or gurgly breathing can be from spitting up water (aspiration/birds do not have a gag reflex), fluid in the abdomen (Ascites) or a number of other things, but I've had the gurgly/raspy breathing with hens that had reproductive cancer with fluid and crops not emptying - Just Sayin' - My 2¢
Some you can treat symptoms and baby along for a while and they will rally. Others continue to decline regardless of treatment given.

Do some reading about reproductive disorders, fluid and crop symptoms.

Here's the crop treatments I use

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you for your help! She is not emptying her crop overnight, but has not eaten anything for the last 3 days. She also has not layed for the last two weeks, though the rest of the flock have slowed down too and are molting.

Thank you for your help! She is not emptying her crop overnight, but has not eaten anything for the last 3 days. She also has not layed for the last two weeks, though the rest of the flock have slowed down too and are molting.
If the crop is not emptying, do provide her water you don't want her dehydrated.
I'd work on getting some coconut oil into her as well.
Read the article to determine which treatment(s) are needed, but usually I just go ahead and begin treating as Sour as well. Miconazole or Clotrimazole for sour crop along with coconut oil.

Is she in molt right now, do you see pin feathers coming in?

Back
Top Bottom