Please help, sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by st16795, Nov 13, 2010.

1. st16795

st16795 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't know what to do..

He's an Old English Crele Bantam, if that helps, and he's a little over a year old.

I started to notice he was acting strangely when I saw that he was spending large periods of times sitting down on his chicken knees in his cage, and when he isn't sitting, he's wobbily standing up with his wings and tail hanging down semi-limply.

He's been eating chicken starter crumbles his whole life up until now. I've been giving him quarter size drops of yogurt every night for the past 5 days with some corn mixed in and poly-vi-sol in his water. I've also tried mixing in a little layer and high-protein game bird food.

He still crows normally and when he's sitting down, his eyes don't close, they stay open and look around intelligently. I'm not sure if his knees are swollen, after posting this I'll go compare his with another bantam (Edit: I don't think they are).

His poops look normal, but, if anything, they smell kind of acrid and look like they have a whitish and washed out color to them. They're actually a little more yellowish-green (whitish) than brown. He's also been having little bouts of diarrhea, which in that case it looks like dark chocolate pudding and smells vile. He made those when he was healthy, too.

Now he's started to shake and his balance isn't very good. He also made a really gross sneeze all over me last night. I'm not sure if it was boogers or water because he had just gotten a drink.

That's another thing, it seems to me like he's been drinking more than usual.

I love this chicken a lot, the same way most people love a baby. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'm listening. I can post pictures, too, if anyone needs them.

Please help.

EDIT 2: His feathers DO NOT come out easily when I (gently) tug them. I read that's the main sign of botulism.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  2. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    bump

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Has he been wormed? Worms and cocci are my first thoughts.

4. st16795

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:No, he hasn't been wormed. That's an idea. I've thought of cocci too, but I haven't seen any blood in his poo.

5. st16795

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Would anyone recommend giving him some Duramycin-10?

--

I'm getting desperate...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  6. st16795

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm not sure if it's against the rules to bump myself.. but page three is looking pretty un-urgent.. Bump.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by