please help sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by september 83, Aug 17, 2011.

1. september 83

september 83 New Egg

Aug 17, 2011
    Hi
    I have two welsummer chickens approx 22weeks. I have noticed that on one of them the feathers on the righ side protrude out a lot more (they are not drooping on the floor though) Also she seems to be having problems with her right leg and keeps losing her balance. She keeps lifting and stretching the leg a lot like she is in pain and is spending a lot of time sitting down. However she is still getting up to eat and apart from being a little pale her eyes are bright and she seems ok. She does have diarrhea though. I have also noticed the Chicken seems a lot fatter at the front and rounder than the other one and does not seem to lift her neck up much. I am really worried about her but none of our local vets will see chickens. I am worried it could be Marek's? Any help please ....

2. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    I'm just guessing......maybe others will be more helpful. Diarrehea, rumpled feathers, pale, not moving the neck.....maybe, cocci. Did you give medicated chick starter? If so, she should have a decent immunity and get over it. However, if she isn't better in two or three days, you may need to treat. I'm purely guessing here........if the diarrehea continues or the other hen starts acting the same way, you could presume cocci.......In which case, Coryd will get them over it. I'm no expert, so hopefully others will have an idea for you. I hate it when my chickies don't feel good. So sorry.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by