Please help!!!! Sick chicken :( :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by QueenHenBeyonce, Feb 7, 2015.

1. QueenHenBeyonce

QueenHenBeyonce New Egg

Feb 7, 2015
    New Zealand
    Hi, I'm a new chicken owner and recently my 3 hens who were laying 1-2 eggs a week haven't been doing so for about 3-4 months.

One of my hens combs had fallen over about a month ago and I found out that's common when chickens get older (they're about 3-4 years old) but what is more concerning is that hen has been acting different and is getting worse. At first she stopped running up to me for food like my other 2 chickens, she'd either walk or wait for me to come to her. Then her posture changed, she was once a big healthy chicken who held her head high but now her tail points down, she lost weight and she doesn't hold her head up, she looks sad. When I noticed this I took her to the vets. The vets I went to didn't specialize in farm animals so they did their best, while at the vets we found out she had diarrhea and they prescribed her with Baytril Bird Drink. We had to make her a coop where she could see the other chickens but they couldn't come in and drink her medication. (We took her to the vets on 1Feb15) The next few days from then she seemed to have been getting better until yesterday (6Feb15) where all she'd do is stand there and would only eat from my hands but would drink on her own.Today is the 7Feb15 and she is a lot worse, she will stand up but if she does she looks as though shes sitting like an owl and almost falls backwards, she wont eat or drink and all she wants to do is sleep :( Also when she tries to walk she sticks out her wings and limps.

[​IMG]
    Should I take her back the vets? What should I do?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Since she has stopped laying, unfortunately, she is at the age and has the symptoms of a common problem with hatchery hens ( which she looks like she could be,) which is called internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. They are also fairly prone to cancer of the ovaries.. There are other possibilities, of course. Have you ever wormed her? With what? Did the vet check for worms? There are some intestinal infections she could have as well. It's pretty well impossible to be sure from online descriptions, of course. Here are a few links:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ickens-live-is-it-a-sudden-death#post_9407241

Good luck!

3. QueenHenBeyonce

QueenHenBeyonce New Egg

Feb 7, 2015
    New Zealand
    Thank you so much!! I don't know what kind of chicken she is, we were given them by a local chicken farmer who's a friend of my uncles as he had too many chickens. When I took her to the vets they said it could be a parasite and was treating her for that. I'm taking her back the vet tomorrow and ill tell them that :) I have never wormed her and didn't think that was a thing for chickens, now I know to do that for my other chickens. Do you think there's hope for her? Could she be in pain? What would you say the best option for her would be?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You might ask the vet if he is familiar with egg yolk peritonitis. He may well have meant or included worms when he said a parasite.

There are other things that could be wrong with her. I really don't know enough about the many chicken problems to give you a decent list. As for whether she is in pain, remember that they are good at masking pain from the flock. I think you are the best one to estimate that.

Here are a few more links -- a lot to read, but at least you won't have to go hunting:

http://www.vdl.umn.edu/prod/groups/cvm/@pub/@cvm/@vdl/documents/asset/cvm_asset_350829.pdf

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-injuries-diseases-how-to-diagnose-treat-your-chickens

5. QueenHenBeyonce

QueenHenBeyonce New Egg

Feb 7, 2015
    New Zealand
    will do and thank you so much for your help :)

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

An x-ray might tell you a lot about what's going on inside but to be honest I'd hate to tell you to spend a lot of $$ on this bird as it looks like she probably does not have much time left. As Judy said, they hide their illness very well, until they just can't do it anymore. So when they look sick they are very, very sick. She may well have parasites but I don't think that is what is causing her to stand the way she is. If it were my bird and I really wanted to do all I could then I'd get her x-rayed and see what that shows and go from there.

7. QueenHenBeyonce

QueenHenBeyonce New Egg

Feb 7, 2015
    New Zealand
    Thank you so much to both of you. This morning Beyonce (the chicken) wasn't doing well. Last night I brought her inside, as it gets quite cold outside so I made her a bed out of a medium sided box and hay, it was big enough for her to take a few steps in but since I knew she wouldn't be doing much walking I thought it would be okay. This morning I found she had moved to one side of the box and had tipped over her water, I assume she was trying to get a drink but was too weak. She had her head tucked in the corner of the box and was breathing weird. I tried to make her stand up but all she'd do is lift up her head and put it back down, I knew she was in pain and didn't want to leave her there to die in pain so I took her to the vets. When I got there the vet offered some treatments that could help but by how she was looking it was best to put her to sleep so we did :( r.i.p queen hen beyonce <3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by