Please Help! Sick chickens

CalliopeSuicide

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
Montana
I'm new to the site but I hope someone can help me. This is my first flock and I have one sick hen and one who has passed on. Both have no respiratory symptoms, the one still alive is letharthgic and laying thin shelled egges but otherwise appears healthy. The hen that died had layed thin-shelled eggs almost since she began laying but appeared otherwise healthy till recently. ( she was about a year old) She recently became lethargic, isolated herself, her comb became shrunken and purple and she had pasty white and yellow diahrea. Neither chickens had any foul odor, I am completely clueless as to what could be the cause. I would like to treat Lady holistically if possible. I have her isolated and switched her back to grower feed since it is medicated. I also but a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in her water. I read online this can cure up many illnesses in chickens. Please offer your advise, my vet. is clueless too as she never deals with chickens, but we both agreed it sounds like something long term since i treated the bad-layer with proper diet and nutrition for a year with no results.

Last edited:
I don't have any answers for you but it sometimes helps if you can post pictures. This site has helpful people and hopefully someone has some ideas for you .
welcome-byc.gif

Wow Not sure.I would make sure the bird is getting some higher protien food>NOT layer ration by any mean's.Layer ration's shouldn't be fed to any bird's that aren't laying egg's.Sound's like she already has problem's and the stuff in that prolly not good right now.I would go 18-20% if you can get it.I would even do 15% grower/ finisher.Don't give medicated feed right now.I know I will probably get rebuttle's on this one.Try giving her some natural boiled egg/ plain yogurt mix.Try offering some natural greens finely chopped like lettuce anything green.Vinegar in the water is good also.Chickens survived for Eon's without all the chemical's.I hope you have good luck plz. update Us.

I'm not sure that a pic would be helpful in this situation as Lady looks perfectly healthy except for her eggs suddenly being thin shelled, mishapen and pale yoked. Debbie the chicken that died is already buried and gone so I cannot take a pic of her state. Like I said she had a shrunken purple comb, lethargy adn pasty white and yellow diahrea. I will try to post a pic of Lady just incase but I know it's not nutritional deficiency because I have been sure to cover all the bases with that. I will try the boiled egg and yogurt. My chickens are all layers and the adults have been laying for almost a year. My Vet. is completely clueless. So I hope someone here can offer some insightful advice. Thanks to you all!

Someone told me today that I should put a Supplement in the girl's water, does anyone know the names of the powdered supplements for water? Also, Do you think it would be safe to let Lady go back in the coop with her sisters? She is getting really lonely........

Back
Top Bottom