Please Help! Sick Chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fortarcher, Jul 11, 2010.

1. fortarcher

fortarcher Hatching

Jul 11, 2010
    Hi Every one,

I am new to the forum and to raising chickens. My hubby and I ordred 50 cornish Rock cross and 10 laying hens in May. Got them May 19th. Have not had a problem till about a 2 weeks ago. Went out to feed and one of the broilers could not walk. I put food and water in front of him and he ate and drank just fine. Couple days went by and he was not better. I could not stand to see him like that so, I had my husband "take care of him". Everything looked normal after we plucked his feathers and looked at the meat. Monday the same thing happened to another. So I put the chicken in the shop and watched him. His stool was normal colored but runny. He could not walk and after he ate and drank would put his head down and sleep. I went and got vitamin and electrolyte mix to put in the water. The second chicken did not look like he was getting better so we culled him. I have been giving the vit/elect mix every time I water. Which is about four to five times a day. ( always clean out the waters and put fresh water). Now today I have another chicken which can not walk. It seems to be the smaller chickens that this is happening to. Any body have a clue to what may be going on? It has been hot out. Will the heat do this to a chicken? There is no blood in the stool but I have seen some droppings that are green/brown diareha. I do not know what to do!! Any info would be great!

Thank you

Amanda
    P.S.

My hens are doing just fine. They are in diffrent pens

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. Welcome to BYC
    Broiler chickens present lots of problems. They grow so rapidly that many times there legs cannot support the weight of their bodies. Also they are very prone to heart attacks. They need to be on a very high protein food to keep up with their growth rate. Heat is a huge factor in the health of poultry. Chickens need to be protected from the heat as much as possible. Many people use misters to help keep their birds cool. Your birds are not quite 7 weeks yet they should be just about at butchering size.

3. fortarcher

fortarcher Hatching

Jul 11, 2010
    We are going to butcher the 2nd of Aug. Most of the boys are really big. They are on meat maker wich is 27% protein if I remember correctly. So it could just be the heat and growing to fast? I do not leave feed out all day. I feed them about four to five times a day and water as soon as empty. The one that quit walking the other day had brown spots on his feet. What could that be?

Thanks

Amanda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by