Please help!! :( Sick chicks (coccidia?)

KrazyKritters

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
Floyd Co, Va
I am at a loss and need advice!! My chicks were hatched 10/16 and have been healthy active birds. They've been feed medicated starter feed since day 1 and still are. I moved them from the brooder to our isolation run w/house and roosting pole on 12/1. Last Thursday 12/5 (I had someone coming to buy them) I noticed they looked sick (overnight?) and there was blood in some poo. I was 95% sure it was coccidia (Bloody poo, look like Quasimodo, have droopy wings and ruffled feathers). It all happen so fast??

I contacted the buyer explained to her and kept them for treatment (Corid 9.6). They do not appear to be getting better and today is day 5 of meds. This morning when I went up for chores I found one dead and another sounds funny. I remember reading a post somewhere on here that I can send a bird off to the state for free testing and there was a number. I'm looking for that number.

I did contact buyer again and gave an honest update plus told her I am NOT comfortable selling these chicks because I would be devastated if someone's flock got infected with whatever from me and did not know where to go from here other than asking you all for advice. These chicks are a mix breed yet I have a few breeding breeds I plan to get started early this spring and even though I have them separate I do have free rangers when is nice out so I can't/ don't want/ won't have a disease being passed around.

I do not want this to infect my other birds! I keep clean coops (Sunday deep cleaning and daily poo pickup, fresh food and water 2x daily). I have a FB page I do different postings on "The Great Dam Farm 411" I try asking some bird/animal questions on there plus read other chicken pages and at times feel I worry and do to much when I hear others hardly do anything and never have issues! I was told that with the extremely wet yr. we've had parasites are horrible. Could it be worms? I did have to treat all my flocks for worms a few months ago (that's when I read and was told about the wet yr. and parasites).

Thanks in advance for any information or suggestions. I still feel I'm new to chickens 1.5yrs (??) and truly love my chickens - have tried edumacating myself on carrying and housing, the "what ifs" and "what could it be" through reading, forums, photos, sites and other peoples past experiences yet I can't wait till I myself have better knowledge.

If it is coccidia I read NOTHING (not even bleach) kills it except extreme heat and that putting Lyme down helps? I will burn that holding run and rebuild if need be!
So on another note what should I do with the area they are in? Wouldn't want to put new hatchlings in there if they will get sick!

Thanks again for advice and suggestions!

Coccidia are everywhere; it's a matter of the numbers. No, bleach won't touch it, but ammonia will. Use a dilute amonia solution when cleaning after them.

Cocci isn't just one organism; it can get complicated. Also, losing one or their not recovering quickly doesn't mean the drug isn't working or that you aren't treating for the right thing. You can lose some even with prompt treatment. Here's some further info, in case it will help:

http://thecozynest.com/understanding_coccidiosis.htm

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/758621/coccidiosis-sulmet-or-corrid/0_20

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/792579/just-found-a-dead-chick/20_20#post_11436103

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom