Please Help, Sick D'Uccle Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Starkasm, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Starkasm

Starkasm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    In the woods
    My sister has an almost 3 month old Bantam D'Uccle chick that is now sluggish and won't eat. She will drink and my sister said she's drinking more than normal. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds like she could have Coccidiosis. The disease commonly affects young birds, and causes lethargy, lack of appetite, sleepiness, paleness, and sometimes bloody droppings. It can kill quickly, so you need to start treatment soon. Get some Corid, either liquid or powder. Corid is sold for cattle and other large livestock, but is used to treat chickens, too. It should be pretty easy to find at a livestock supply store. The dosage for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, and for the powder, it is 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. Give Corid for five days. If its working, you'll see improvement by the third day.

3. Starkasm

Apr 1, 2013
    In the woods
    Thank you, Wyandottes7,

I looked all that up to see what it was and also found a place to get some Corid. Sounds like something I should have on hand anyway.

Thought maybe a little more info might help. She has 5 bantam chicks all this age. No one else is sick. I saw her poop and there is no blood at all. I looked because I commented to her it's not a pure water poop so I would guess it hadn't been extremely long that she stopped eating.
    I will give her the Corid because I also read that prevention is good, so I don't think giving her this if she doesn't have it would hurt her.

Do you think there is anything else it could be? It just seems so sudden. She said it was fine yesterday.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  5. Starkasm

Apr 1, 2013
    In the woods

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by