1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help. Sick duckling.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Doulos, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Doulos

Doulos Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2016
    Hi, I just got 6 welsh harlequins 2 days ago. About an hour ago, I noticed one duck started chirping very loudly. His neck is arched, and he occasionally is falling on his back and can't turn himself over again. All the stores near me are closed, so I can't go get any antibiotics or anything until morning. What can I do?

EDIT:

I have replied twice, but neither comment is showing up. My duckling didn't make it. I suspect pasteurella. I have been putting brewers yeast in their water, but I'm not sure I'm putting enough in or not. Should I get some antibiotics for the others?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  2. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    He needs niacin,ASAP.

3. Doulos

Feb 4, 2016

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  4. Doulos

Feb 4, 2016
    Thank you, but he did not make it. I think it might have been this:

http://www.duckhealth.com/duckhlth.html
    Riemerella anatipestifer Infection
    This bacterial disease of ducks is also known as Pasteurella anatipestifer infection, infectious serositis and New Duck disease. Anatipestifer infection causes high mortality, weight loss and condemnation. In the acute form, listlessness, eye discharge and diarrhea are commonly seen. Ducks show incoordination, shaking of the head and twisted neck. Birds are commonly found on their backs, paddling their legs. Typical lesions found in dead birds are infected air sacs, membranes covering the heart and liver, and meningitis. Preventive management and vaccination are effective means of control. Penicillin, enrofloxacin and sulfadimethoxine-ormetoprim (0.04-0.08% in feed) are effective in reducing mortality.

I have been dosing brewer's yeast in their water for niacin. I'm wondering if I should get some antibiotics in the morning in case as a preventative for the others?

5. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I'm so sorry. The antibiotics may be a good idea, but I've had no experience with this.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Could have been wry neck too look that up. Before you start giving your little ones antibiotics.

Very sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  7. Doulos

Feb 4, 2016
    Thank you. I will be getting a replacement because I think it was my only male that died. So, I'm getting 1 male and 2 more females (in case the male was a survivor so I can have a higher female/male ratio). Would it be okay for the new ducklings to be with my ducklings that are a week older?

It seems my other posts finally showed up. Sorry for multiple posts.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd put some kind of divider in your brooder that the week olds and newbies can see each other but the older ones can't trample the babies your going to be very surprised at the difference in size and as you know newbies are pretty fragile at first. Give the younger ones a least 2-3 days to get their feet under them before seeing if they can all be together. Be sure to add save a chick or poultry nutri drench to their water for at least 3 days after they arrive this will help them get a good start after shipping.

Pics when you can.

9. Doulos

Feb 4, 2016
    Thank you, Miss Lydia. I will post pics when I can get some. I still seem to have a problem. I found one of my ducks on its back this morning, which leads me to think niacin deficiency based on what I have read so far. I have been adding poultry vitamin to their water, per hatchery recommendation. I also add about 1 tablespoon of brewer's yeast per cup of food. I went home for lunch and added a b-complex vitamin to their water because I couldn't find niacin at the local grocery store. I can order some niacin online, but I'm not sure what else I can do. I thought I was dosing enough as things were.

I would like to give them some ground peas because they are high in niacin. From what I read, people said you should wait until 4 weeks to give peas to ducklings? Do you know why this would be? If they are ground would that work? I have 3 ducks that are 1 week old, and 5 that are 2 week old.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Doulos I haven't heard that about waiting till 4 weeks. When you add any other food to their diet though you have to offer grit[chick] on the side the starter is easy to digest but they need grit to process anything else so put out some grit and smash up some peas or grind some I'd add a tiny bit of warm water and see how they like it. B complex is okay to use and may help better since you have one going onto it's back. Is the duckling that was on it's back crested by any chance?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by