Please help sick duckling!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kaitling, May 26, 2016.

1. kaitling

kaitling Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    Oklahoma
    My 3 and a half week old ducklings stayed outside today it was 83 degrees. I had the mama heating pad out there with them. I came home today and one of them was on her back and I picked her up and set her down. Her legs are really wobbly, she also kept closing her eyes immediately. Gave her water and she drank a little bit. She is now back in the brooder with the heating pad. Did she get too cold?? Dehydration? The other one acts like her normal self.
    Please help!

Thank you

2. Jujubeans2008

Jujubeans2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    She could have gotten hot. Make sure you keep fluids in her.

Also, are you giving them any sort of Niacin supplement? Ducklings need extra Niacin to help their legs get nice and strong. The wobblyness sounds like it could be from a Niacin deficiency. You can give ducklings brewers yeast (used to make alcohol), nutritional yeast, or buy a niacin supplement to put in their water at your local feed store.

3. kaitling

Mar 21, 2016
    Oklahoma
    No I have not given a Niacin supplement. Ive been watching for that but they have seemed fine. I don't think they got under or on their heating pad at all today. The sick duckling seems lethargic. I cannot really find good information on how a duckling Acts when it's been too cold for too long.

4. Jujubeans2008

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    If it was 83 degrees outside, that's a good temperature for a 3 week old duckling.

I'm thinking it is probably weak because it needs Niacin. They NEED Niacin for the first 10 weeks of their lives to help their legs grow strong. Without it, they become weak and lethargic. Other than that, is it fine? Are there any other symptoms?

5. kaitling

Mar 21, 2016
    Oklahoma
    No just weak. I will get some Niacin asap. Thank you for your help!

6. kaitling

Mar 21, 2016
    Oklahoma
    She has been eating Purina flock raiser since I got her though. Not straight chick starter.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Did she have access to shade and water all day?

8. Jujubeans2008

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    How much calcium is in that food? Too much calcium can damage their internal organs since they aren't laying yet.

9. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    I think you're thinking of a layer feed. Purina's Flock raiser is recommended for ducklings (by both Purina, and Storey's Guide.)

10. Jujubeans2008

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    Thanks. I'm still learning all of the food terminology.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by