Please Help! Sick hen, lethargic, runny bright green poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlovingma, Jan 21, 2014.

1. chickenlovingma

chickenlovingma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    Please help, my hen has bright green runny, gelatinous poop. She's lethargic, not drinking or eating. I've been reading here where this might be a fungal infection. How do I help her?
    A few days ago, one of my hens started coughing and sneezing, so I administered 1 tsp of ACV to their gallon of water. Her symptoms improved, but now another hen is very ill. As I watched, the sick hen appeared to have vomited some water up, though she kept her neck straight and her head level. I don't know what's going on or how to help her, so I put her in their coop and closed the door. There's a light bulb for some heat, fresh food, and water with ACV. Her straw is fresh, and the floor is dusted with DE underneath it.

Thank you.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    To start you should bring a sick chicken inside where it's warm. Mine seem to do best when it's at least 80 degrees in their room. Can you bring her inside

-Kathy

3. chickenlovingma

Jan 21, 2014
    I can bring her in for a bit, but she gets overheated after a short time. Her coop is dry, warm, out of the wind and fog, and I am hoping it's okay until I can figure out what's going on with her.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How do you know she get overheated? Does she pant? It's 84 in my living room now and mine is fine.

-Kathy

5. chickenlovingma

Jan 21, 2014
    She gets overheated because my hens are outside hens, and are used to 30-40 degrees on most days. I bring them in when ever I need to tend to them, and yes, she starts panting and her wings spread a little away from her body.

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    X2,i currently have a rooster recovering from a leg injury,never had any overheating issues. I have brought my chickens into house when the weather has been extremely severe,again no overheating issues.

A sick chicken requires additional heat,they cannot regulate their body temp when warm and without the added heat,they are using every bit of energy they have left to warm themselves.

Have you checked her for crop issues,either impact or sour crop?

7. chickenlovingma

Jan 21, 2014
    Change- I removed the ACV and put in a mixture of 1 T of baking soda to a gallon of water. Just in case her acidity is compromised by the ACV. I tried tilting her down and massaging her crop, but nothing happened. Her crop feels empty to me, but when she reaches for the food, she jerks back upright while swallowing rapidly.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She was panting today?

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Please don't do that unless you have experience doing it.

-Kathy

10. chickenlovingma

Jan 21, 2014
    No, she wasn't panting today because I am trying to figure out what is happening with her before I bring her inside. I put a warmer bulb in her house, and she's perking up a bit. Still refusing water and feed though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by