Please help sick hen!

Itz_Kitkat

Chirping
Dec 6, 2020
Grande Prairie Alberta
Hello I am new here I have a 1/2 year old chicken that seemed sick so right now she is quarantined from the other chickens . I can’t lose her. These are the symptoms :

- Shaking head every like 10 seconds

- Weak can’t get on the perch at all

- Her crop has not emptied ( took food away for 24 hours still not a lot of movement)

- I don’t know if she is drinking but I give her 3 ml of water 2 times a day

- Ruffled feathers

- Runny diarrhea some small chunks and yellow diarrhea there has been a couple of solid ish poops

Should I go to the vet

Hello I am new here I have a 1/2 year old chicken that seemed sick so right now she is quarantined from the other chickens . I can’t lose her. These are the symptoms :

- Her crop has not emptied ( took food away for 24 hours still not a lot of movement)

- Ruffled feathers

- Runny diarrhea some small chunks and yellow diarrhea there has been a couple of solid ish poops

Should I go to the vet
If a vet is an option than I’d take it. She sounds quite lethargic and obviously has crops issues. Sometimes I notice a ‘fuller crop’ in the morning with my chickens and I’ve heard that rubbing it in a circular motion can help. When a chicken is sick, I now have antibiotics and other treatments on hand, do you have anything like that? Hopefully she pulls through... :)

Feed her some coconut oil and massage her crop gently trying to work the mass apart. Egg whites may help. If you have access to a vet I would take her. She is very young do you have any idea what she ate? Is there a smell in her mouth? Sour or yeasty?
:goodpost: This advice is great and similar to the advice that I got when one of my hens had crop issues. :)

Sounds like impacted crop...
....'melt' some coconut oil into crumble feed 1tsp oil to 1tbsp feed.
Do not feed her anything else but that and water.
I bit of 'massage' to break up the clump a few times a day.

Crop may be sour too....then miconazole mixed into feed for 6 days.

I isolate bird in a crate while treating.
1617622268931.png

- Ruffled feathers

Should I go to the vet
Please post some photos of her and the poop. A video of her actions may help too.
Look inside her ears and inside her beak for infection or lesions just to be sure.
Look for bugs too (lice/mites).

How long have you had here and how long has she been in the area she's living?

Sound like she does have an impaction, I would make sure she has access to water. Follow the instructions in this article.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

- We did check her ears but found nothing

- she has been living here ever since she was 1 day old

- will post pics when I get home around 11:00

- I haven’t smelled anything but I’ll have to check that

Thank you guys so much we just lost our favourite hen a couple weeks ago this means a lot

- We did check her ears but found nothing

- she has been living here ever since she was 1 day old

- will post pics when I get home around 11:00

- I haven’t smelled anything but I’ll have to check that

Thank you guys so much we just lost our favourite hen a couple weeks ago this means a lo
How is she doing now?

Back
Top Bottom